EuroZoid
Discover The Most Popular Places In Europe

Petit Pont, Paris | Tourist Information



1 rue du petit pont
Paris, France 75005


Le Petit-Pont est un pont franchissant la Seine à Paris, dont l'édifice actuel fut construit en 1853. Il relie la rue de la Cité et le quai du Marché-Neuf, sur l'île de la Cité, à la place du Petit-Pont sur la rive gauche, entre le quai de Montebello et le quai Saint-Michel, prolongée par la rue du Petit-Pont, puis la rue Saint-Jacques.HistoireLe pont romainLe premier pont situé à cet endroit date de la période romaine de Lutèce où fut déjà construit un pont sous ce nom, qui provient du fait qu'il permettait de franchir le petit bras du fleuve, par opposition au « Grand-Pont », qui existait depuis l'Antiquité et qui traversait le grand bras de la Seine (ce dernier est devenu le pont Notre-Dame), cette appellation encore aujourd'hui justifiée par sa plus petite longueur de tous les ponts de Paris.Le Petit-Pont était à l'époque gallo-romaine le seul point de passage pour relier l'île de la Cité et, dans le prolongement du cardo maximus, la rive droite. Fait de bois, il était particulièrement exposé aux crues de la Seine et aux incendies. Charles le Chauve, pour protéger l'île des attaques normandes, fit édifier un ouvrage de protection à la tête du pont, en même temps qu'il renforçait les fortifications de la Cité. Les deux ponts de la Cité furent une fois encore détruits en 1111, par le comte Robert de Meulan. Le Grand-Pont fut rebâti plus à l'ouest alors que le Petit-Pont fut reconstruit au même emplacement, qu'il a conservé jusqu'à nos jours.

Bridge Near Petit Pont

Pont des Arts
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
Pont des Arts
Paris, France 75006

The Pont des Arts or Passerelle des Arts is a pedestrian bridge in Paris which crosses the River Seine. It links the Institut de France and the central square reported several deficiencies on the bridge. More specifically, he noted the damage that had been caused by two aerial bombardments sustained during World War I and World War II and the harm done from the multiple collisions caused by boats. The bridge would be closed to circulation in 1977 and, in 1979, suffered a 60-metre collapse after a barge rammed into it.The present bridge was built between 1981 and 1984 "identically" according to the plans of Louis Arretche, who had decided to reduce the number of arches from nine to seven, allowing the look of the old bridge to be preserved while realigning the new structure with the Pont Neuf. On 27 June 1984, the newly reconstructed bridge was inaugurated by Jacques Chirac, then the mayor of Paris.

Pont des Amoureux - Love Lock Bridge
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
Pont des Arts
Paris, France 75006

Pont Neuf
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
Paris
Paris, France 75001

The Pont Neuf is the oldest standing bridge across the river Seine in Paris, France. Its name, which was given to distinguish it from older bridges that were lined on both sides with houses, has remained after all of those were replaced. It stands by the western (downstream) point of the Île de la Cité, the island in the middle of the river that was, between 250 and 225 BC, the birthplace of Paris, then known as Lutetia, and during the medieval period, the heart of the city.The bridge is composed of two separate spans, one of five arches joining the left bank to the Île de la Cité, another of seven joining the island to the right bank. Old engraved maps of Paris show how, when the bridge was built, it just grazed the downstream tip of the Île de la Cité; since then, the natural sandbar building of a mid-river island, aided by stone-faced embankments called quais, has extended the island. Today the tip of the island is the location of the Square du Vert-Galant, a small public park named in honour of Henry IV, nicknamed the "Green Gallant".ConstructionAs early as 1550, Henry II was asked to build a bridge here because the existing Pont Notre-Dame was overloaded, but the expense was too much at the time.In February 1578, the decision to build the bridge was made by Henry III who laid its first stone in 1578, the year when the foundations of four piers and one abutment were completed. Pierre des Isles, one of the builders, convinced the supervisory commission that the bridge, which was originally straight, would be more resistant to the river currents, if its two sections were built at a slight angle, a change they adopted in May 1578.

Pont des Amoureux - Pont de l'Archevêché
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
Pont de l'Archevêché
Paris, France Paris

Pont Neuf
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
Pont Neuf
Paris, France Paris

Pont de l'Archevêché
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
Pont de l'Archevêché
Paris, France 75004

<>

The Pont de l'Archevêché is a bridge crossing the Seine river in Paris, France.LocationThe bridge links the 4th Arrondissement, at the Île de la Cité, to the 5th Arrondissement, between the quai de Montebello and the quai de la Tournelle.HistoryThe Pont de l'Archevêché is the narrowest road bridge in Paris. It was built in 1828, by the engineer Plouard, for the society Pont des Invalides after the demolition of the suspension bridge at Les Invalides.The bridge is 68m long. It is composed of three arches of stone measuring heights of 15m, 17m, and 15m. The bridge commonly seen in the background of the set on Highlander when the show was set in Paris. After the Pont des Arts was cleared of its display of padlocks in 2010, and similarly the Passerelle Léopold-Sédar-Senghor, lovers started to place their 'love padlocks' on this bridge. The original two bridges for this were footbridges, but this one, a bit narrower, is a road bridge.Characteristics Type of construction : Arch bridge Construction : 1828 Architect : Plouard Material : stone Total Length : 68m Width : 17m Usable width : 11m

Rives de la Seine à Paris
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
Pont Neuf
Paris, France

Sur les rives de la Seine à Paris peuvent être contemplés certains des plus célèbres monuments de la capitale de la France, de la Tour Eiffel à Notre-Dame en passant par la Concorde, mais également les ponts historiques qui les relient. Les deux rives sont inscrites sur la liste du patrimoine mondial de l'UNESCO depuis 1991.HistoireLes premiers quais sont construits au début du. Le premier est le quai des Grands-Augustins. Le Pont-Neuf est construit en 1578. En 1753, la création de la place Louis-XV, actuelle place de la Concorde, est simultanée à celle des quais sur les deux rives. Les maisons qui se trouvaient juste au bord du fleuve sont détruites, malgré l'opposition de la population. L'espace ainsi dégagé permet l'édification des quais hauts. En 1870, 15 ponts sont construits. Les quais bas sont ensuite adaptés au trafic fluvial et les chemins de halage se développent. Les berges de la Seine sont le site des Expositions universelles organisées de 1855 à 1900 à Paris.

Pont Saint-Michel
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
Pont Saint-Michel
Paris, France 75005

Le pont Saint-Michel relie la place Saint-Michel (sur la rive gauche) au boulevard du Palais sur l'île de la Cité, à Paris. Il doit son nom au voisinage d'une chapelle consacrée à Saint-Michel qui existait dans le Palais royal.L'autre pont situé dans son prolongement vers le nord, reliant le boulevard du Palais au Châtelet sur la rive droite est le pont au Change.HistoireCe pont construit initialement en 1378 fut reconstruit plusieurs fois, en dernier lieu en 1857.Le pont en pierre de 1378La construction du pont en pierre fut décidée en 1353 par le parlement de Paris après accord avec le chapitre de la cathédrale Notre-Dame de Paris, le prévôt de Paris, ainsi que les bourgeois de la ville. Son emplacement fut fixé en aval du Petit-Pont, dans l'axe de la rue Saint-Denis, du Grand-Pont sur la rive droite et de la rue de la Harpe sur la rive gauche, ceci permettant une traversée directe de l'île de la Cité.

Pont Saint-Michel
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
Rue du pont st Michel
Paris, France 75005

0630783801

Pont Saint-Michel is a bridge linking the Place Saint-Michel on the left bank of the river Seine to the Île de la Cité. It was named after the nearby chapel of Saint-Michel. It is near Sainte Chapelle and the Palais de Justice. The present 62-metre-long bridge dates to 1857.HistoryFirst constructed in 1378, it has been rebuilt several times, most recently in 1857.The medieval bridgeThe construction of a stone bridge was decided upon in 1378 by the Parlement de Paris after an accord with the chapter of the cathedral of Notre-Dame de Paris, the provost of Paris, and the city's merchants. A location downstream of Petit-Pont was chosen, on the line of Rue Saint-Denis, from the Grand-Pont on the right bank and of Rue de la Harpe on the left bank. This allowed for a direct route across Île de la Cité.The provost, Hugues Aubriot, was charged with overseeing the project, which was funded by the king. Construction lasted from 1379 to 1387. Once complete, the Parisians named the bridge Pont-Neuf (New Bridge, but it should not be confused with the present-day Pont-Neuf), Petit-Pont-Neuf (Little New Bridge) or Pont Saint-Michel dit le Pont-Neuf (St. Michael's Bridge, known as the 'New' Bridge).

Pont Notre-Dame
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
Pont Notre-Dame
Paris, France 75004

The Pont Notre-Dame is a bridge that crosses the Seine in Paris, France linking the quai de Gesvres on the Rive Droite with the quai de la Corse on the Île de la Cité. The bridge is noted for being the "most ancient" in Paris, in the sense that, while the oldest bridge in Paris that is in its original state is undoubtedly the Pont Neuf, a bridge in some form has existed at the site of the Pont Notre-Dame since antiquity; nonetheless, it has been destroyed and reconstructed numerous times, a fact referred to in the Latin inscription on it to honor its Italian architect, Fra Giovanni Giocondo. (See below.) The bridge once was lined with approximately sixty houses, the weight of which caused a collapse in 1499.HistoryIt was on this spot that the first bridge of Paris, called the Grand-Pont, crossed the Seine from antiquity. In 886, during the siege of Paris and the Norman attacks, this structure was destroyed and replaced by a plank bridge, named the Pont des Planches de Milbray (Milbray plank bridge). This bridge was destroyed by the floods of 1406. On May 31, 1412, Charles VI of France ordered the construction of the first version of the bridge to be named "Notre-Dame". This structure was composed of solid wood and connected the Île de la Cité to the rue Saint-Martin. The bridge took seven years to build and had sixty houses atop it, thirty on each side. The houses were noted by Robert Gauguin as being "remarkable for their height, and the uniformity of construction" and was called the "handsomest in France." King Charles' wooden bridge collapsed on October 25, 1499 near 9 a.m., likely due to structural instabilities caused by the lack of repairs.

Le Pont Marie
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
Quai d'Anjou, Voie Georges Pompidou
Paris, France 75004

Ponte Dos Cadeados ( Pont Des Arts )
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
Pont des Arts
Paris, France 75006

Au Petit Pont à Saint Michel
Distance: 0.0 mi Tourist Information
2-4 rue du Petit-Pont
Paris, France 75005

01 43 54 23 81

Pont Des Arts
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
Pont des Arts
Paris, France

<>

Pont de la Tournelle
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
Pont de la Tournelle
Paris, France 75005

<>

Pont de la Tournelle, is an arch bridge spanning the river Seine in Paris.HistoryThe location of the Pont de la Tournelle is the site of successive structures.The first, a wooden bridge, was built in 1620. This bridge connected the Eastern bank of the Seine (le quai Saint-Bernard) to l'île Saint-Louis. It was subsequently washed away by ice in 1637, and again on 21 January 1651. A stone bridge was erected in its place in 1654. It was demolished in 1918 and replaced by the current bridge in 1928, after it suffered several natural disasters, especially the flood of 1910.The Pont de la Tournelle was intentionally built lacking symmetry, in order to emphasize the shapeless landscape in the part of the Seine that it bestrides. Consisting of a grand central arch that links the riverbanks via two smaller arches, one on each side, it's decorated on the Eastern bank with a pylon built on the left pier's cutwater, and a statue of Saint Geneviève, the patron saint of Paris, atop of the pylon, designed by Polish-French monumental sculptor Paul Landowski.The term "Tournelle" traces its origin to a square turret (tourelle) constructed at the end of the 12th Century on the fortress of Phillipe Auguste.Numerous scenes of Highlander: The Series were filmed along the Quai de la Tournelle near and underneath Pont de la Tournelle between 1992 and 1998.

Lovers Bridge Paris
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
Pont de l'Archevêché
Paris, France 75005

<>

Pont Royal
Distance: 0.9 mi Tourist Information
Pont Royal
Paris, France 75007

Lovers Lock Bridge
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
Pont des Arts
Paris, France

<>

Pont d'Austerlitz
Distance: 1.0 mi Tourist Information
Pont d'Austerlitz
Paris, France 75012

The Pont d'Austerlitz is a bridge which crosses the Seine River in Paris, France. It owes its name to the battle of Austerlitz (1805).LocationThe bridge links the 12th arrondissement at the rue Ledru-Rollin, to the 5th and 13th arrondissements, at the Jardin des Plantes.HistoryThe construction of the bridge came from a necessity to link the Faubourg Saint-Antoine on the right bank to the Jardin des Plantes on the left bank. At the beginning of the 19th century the first bridge was constructed. In 1801, the engineer Becquey de Beaupré proposed a five-arched bridge. In 1854, the bridge was judged dangerous and the width was increased to 18 meters (59 feet) and finally to 30 meters (98 feet).Characteristics Type : Arch bridge Construction : 1801–1805, 1854 and 1884–1885 Inauguration : 1854 and 1885 Architects : Alexandre Michal, Jules Savarin (1854) – Jean-Marie-Georges Choquet (1885) Material : Stone Masonry Total Length : 173,80 m

Pont Royal
Distance: 0.9 mi Tourist Information
Pont Royal
Paris, France 75007

The Pont Royal is a bridge crossing the river Seine in Paris. It is the third oldest bridge in Paris, after the Pont Neuf and the Pont Marie.LocationThe Pont Royal links the Right Bank by the Pavillon de Flore with the Left Bank of Paris between rue du Bac and the rue de Beaune. The bridge is constructed with five elliptical arches en plein cintre. A hydrographic ladder, indicating floods' highest level in Paris, is visible on the last pier nearest each bank.HistoryIn 1632, the entrepreneur Pierre Pidou directed the construction of a wooden toll-bridge which would be called Pont Sainte-Anne (in deference to Anne of Austria) or Pont Rouge (due to its color). It was designed to replace the Tuileries ferry upon which the rue du Bac (bac meaning ferry in French) owes its name. The ferry had been offering crossings since 1550. Fragile, this bridge of fifteen arches would be repaired for the first time in 1649, completely redone two years later, burnt in 1654, flooded in 1656, completely rebuilt in 1660, propped up in 1673 and finally carried away by a flood in February 1684. Madame de Sévigné reported that this last incident caused the loss of eight of the bridge's arches.

European Restaurant Near Petit Pont

Café de Flore
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
172, Boulevard Saint-Germain
Paris, France 75006

01 45 48 55 26

The Café de Flore is one of the oldest coffeehouses in Paris. Located at the corner of Boulevard Saint-Germain and Rue Saint-Benoît, in Saint-Germain-des-Prés in the 6th arrondissement, it is celebrated for its famous clientele.HistoryThe café was opened in the 1880s, during the French Third Republic. The name is taken from a sculpture of Flora, the goddess of flowers and the season of spring in Roman mythology, located on the opposite side of the boulevard. Authors Joris-Karl Huysmans and Remy de Gourmont were two of the first well-known regulars. In the late 19th century, Charles Maurras wrote his book Au signe de Flore on the café's first floor, where in 1899 the Revue d'Action Française was also founded.Café de Flore became a popular hub of famous writers and philosophers. Georges Bataille, Robert Desnos, Léon-Paul Fargue, Raymond Queneau were all regulars, and so was Pablo Picasso. Chinese Premier Zhou Enlai was known to be a frequent patron of Café de Flore during his years in France in the 1920s. The classic Art Deco interior of all red seating, mahogany and mirrors has changed little since World War II.

Les Philosophes
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
28 Rue Vieille du Temple
Paris, France 75004

01 48 87 49 64

Le Fumoir
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
6 rue de l'Amiral de Coligny
Paris, France 75001

01 42 92 00 27

Restaurant, Bar à Cocktail, Salon de thé à géométrie variable selon l'heure et vos envies. Tous les jours de 11h00 à 2h00.

Le Petit Cambodge
Distance: 1.6 mi Tourist Information
20 rue Alibert
Paris, France 75010

+33 (0) 1 42 45 80 88

Le Square Trousseau
Distance: 1.4 mi Tourist Information
1 Rue Antoine Vollon
Paris, France 75012

01 43 43 06 00

Les Enfants Perdus
Distance: 1.6 mi Tourist Information
9, rue des Récollets
Paris, France 75010

01 81 29 48 26

Les Enfants Perdus est un restaurant situé près du Canal Saint Martin dans le 10e arrondissement de Paris. Les plats proposés sont élaborés à base de produits frais livrés tous les matins. Fois gras maison, ravioles gratinées, pièce de boeuf, magret de canard, pain perdu, cheese cake... Les Enfants Perdus vous proposent également une large sélection de vins, des cocktails savoureux et un brunch copieux le dimanche !

La Marine
Distance: 1.5 mi Tourist Information
55bis, Quai de Valmy
Paris, France 75010

01 42 39 69 81

Les P'tites Indécises
Distance: 1.5 mi Tourist Information
2 rue des Trois Bornes
Paris, France 75011

01 43 57 26 00

Sola
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
12 rue de l'Hôtel Colbert
Paris, France 75005

01 43 29 59 04

Frenchie To Go
Distance: 1.0 mi Tourist Information
9, rue du Nil
Paris, France 75002

0140262343

Au Trappiste
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
4 Rue Saint-Denis
Paris, France 75001

01 42 33 08 50

Moutarde Street
Distance: 1.3 mi Tourist Information
22 boulevard des italiens (métro Opéra)
Paris, France 75009

0033144560988

Au Baroudeur
Distance: 1.2 mi Tourist Information
4 Place du 18 Juin 1940
Paris, France 75006

0145487631

Aux Deux Amis
Distance: 1.4 mi Tourist Information
45 Rue Oberkampf
Paris, France 75011

0158303813

L'Authentique Bistrot
Distance: 0.8 mi Tourist Information
124 rue Saint Denis
Paris, France 75002

0140399686

Saint-Séverin, Paris
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
1 Rue des Prêtres Saint-Séverin 75005 Paris
Paris, France 75005

01 43 54 19 36

The Church of Saint-Séverin is a Roman Catholic church in the Latin Quarter of Paris, located on the lively tourist street Rue Saint-Séverin. It is one of the oldest churches that remains standing on the Left Bank, and it continues in use as a place of worship.HistorySéverin of Paris, a devout hermit, lived on the banks of the River Seine during the first half of the fifth century. The oratory which was built over his tomb became the site of a small Romanesque church which was built around the eleventh century. As a result of the rapidly expanding community on the Left Bank, it was decided a larger church was required. The new structure, built at the beginning of the thirteenth century in the Gothic style, had a nave with lateral aisles. An additional aisle on the south side was built in the early 14th century to accommodate the growing congregations from the nearby university.After the church was seriously damaged by fire in 1448 during the Hundred Years' War, the archpriest Guillaume d'Estouteville rebuilt the church in the Late-Gothic style, adding a new aisle to the north. In 1489, a semi-circular apse was added at the eastern end with an ambulatory complete with columns including the strangely coiled central pillar. Additional space was provided by constructing chapels along the outer aisles. After their completion in 1520, the church took on the general appearance it still has today. In 1643, a second sacristy was added and in 1673, the royal architect Jules Hardouin-Mansart built the Communion chapel on the church's southeast corner. In 1684, the decorator Charles le Brun modified the design of the choir, removing the rood screen and providing the apse columns with marble facing.

La Régalade
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
106 rue Saint Honoré 75001 Paris
Paris, France 75001

01 45 45 68 58

Le Grand Bistrot, St Michel, Paris
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
7, rue Saint-Séverin
Paris, France 75005

01 43 25 94 21

Spécialités françaises et savoyardes - raclettes, pierrades et fondues.

La Montagne Sans Geneviève
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
13 rue Pot de Fer
Paris, France 75005

01 43 36 61 52

Comptoir du Panthéon
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
5 rue Soufflot
Paris, France 75005

0143547536

Landmark Near Petit Pont

Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Paris
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
6, Parvis Notre-Dame
Paris, France 75015

+33 (0)1 42 34 56 10

Fondée en 1163, la cathédrale Notre-Dame de Paris se dresse au coeur de l'île de la Cité et de Paris et est le témoin vivant de 850 ans d'histoire ! Page Facebook des 850 ans : http://www.facebook.com/notredamedeparis2013

St Michel Notre-Dame, Paris
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
Quai Saint-Michel
Paris, France 75005

<>

Place Saint-Michel
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
Place Saint-Michel
Paris, France 75005

La place Saint-Michel est une voie située dans le quartier de la Sorbonne et le quartier de la Monnaie des 5 et arrondissements à Paris, en France.HistoireLa place a été créée lors de la percée du boulevard Saint-Michel, en 1855 sous Napoléon III. Le pont Saint-Michel construit au, a été refait à la même période que la place.En août 1944, de vifs combats y opposèrent les étudiants de la Résistance aux Allemands.

Place Saint-Michel
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
Place Saint-Michel
Paris, France 75005

La place Saint-Michel est une voie située dans le quartier de la Sorbonne et le quartier de la Monnaie des 5 et arrondissements à Paris, en France.HistoireLa place a été créée lors de la percée du boulevard Saint-Michel, en 1855 sous Napoléon III. Le pont Saint-Michel construit au, a été refait à la même période que la place.En août 1944, de vifs combats y opposèrent les étudiants de la Résistance aux Allemands.

Pont Saint-Michel
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
Pont Saint-Michel
Paris, France 75005

Le pont Saint-Michel relie la place Saint-Michel (sur la rive gauche) au boulevard du Palais sur l'île de la Cité, à Paris. Il doit son nom au voisinage d'une chapelle consacrée à Saint-Michel qui existait dans le Palais royal.L'autre pont situé dans son prolongement vers le nord, reliant le boulevard du Palais au Châtelet sur la rive droite est le pont au Change.HistoireCe pont construit initialement en 1378 fut reconstruit plusieurs fois, en dernier lieu en 1857.Le pont en pierre de 1378La construction du pont en pierre fut décidée en 1353 par le parlement de Paris après accord avec le chapitre de la cathédrale Notre-Dame de Paris, le prévôt de Paris, ainsi que les bourgeois de la ville. Son emplacement fut fixé en aval du Petit-Pont, dans l'axe de la rue Saint-Denis, du Grand-Pont sur la rive droite et de la rue de la Harpe sur la rive gauche, ceci permettant une traversée directe de l'île de la Cité.

Pont Saint-Michel
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
Pont Saint-Michel
Paris, France 75005

Le pont Saint-Michel relie la place Saint-Michel (sur la rive gauche) au boulevard du Palais sur l'île de la Cité, à Paris. Il doit son nom au voisinage d'une chapelle consacrée à Saint-Michel qui existait dans le Palais royal.L'autre pont situé dans son prolongement vers le nord, reliant le boulevard du Palais au Châtelet sur la rive droite est le pont au Change.HistoireCe pont construit initialement en 1378 fut reconstruit plusieurs fois, en dernier lieu en 1857.Le pont en pierre de 1378La construction du pont en pierre fut décidée en 1353 par le parlement de Paris après accord avec le chapitre de la cathédrale Notre-Dame de Paris, le prévôt de Paris, ainsi que les bourgeois de la ville. Son emplacement fut fixé en aval du Petit-Pont, dans l'axe de la rue Saint-Denis, du Grand-Pont sur la rive droite et de la rue de la Harpe sur la rive gauche, ceci permettant une traversée directe de l'île de la Cité.

Pont Saint-Michel
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
Rue du pont st Michel
Paris, France 75005

0630783801

Pont Saint-Michel is a bridge linking the Place Saint-Michel on the left bank of the river Seine to the Île de la Cité. It was named after the nearby chapel of Saint-Michel. It is near Sainte Chapelle and the Palais de Justice. The present 62-metre-long bridge dates to 1857.HistoryFirst constructed in 1378, it has been rebuilt several times, most recently in 1857.The medieval bridgeThe construction of a stone bridge was decided upon in 1378 by the Parlement de Paris after an accord with the chapter of the cathedral of Notre-Dame de Paris, the provost of Paris, and the city's merchants. A location downstream of Petit-Pont was chosen, on the line of Rue Saint-Denis, from the Grand-Pont on the right bank and of Rue de la Harpe on the left bank. This allowed for a direct route across Île de la Cité.The provost, Hugues Aubriot, was charged with overseeing the project, which was funded by the king. Construction lasted from 1379 to 1387. Once complete, the Parisians named the bridge Pont-Neuf (New Bridge, but it should not be confused with the present-day Pont-Neuf), Petit-Pont-Neuf (Little New Bridge) or Pont Saint-Michel dit le Pont-Neuf (St. Michael's Bridge, known as the 'New' Bridge).

Fontaine Saint-Michel
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
Place St Michel
Paris, France 75006

<>

The Fontaine Saint-Michel is a monumental fountain located in Place Saint-Michel in the 5th arrondissement in Paris. It was constructed in 1858–1860 during the French Second Empire by the architect Gabriel Davioud.HistoryThe fontaine Saint-Michel was part of the great project for the reconstruction of Paris overseen by Baron Haussmann during the French Second Empire. In 1855 Haussmann completed an enormous new boulevard, originally called boulevard de Sébastopol-rive-gauche, now called Boulevard Saint-Michel, which opened up the small place Pont-Saint-Michel into a much larger space. Haussmann asked the architect of the service of promenades and plantations of the prefecture, Gabriel Davioud, to design a fountain which would be appropriate in scale to the new square. As the architect of the prefecture, he was able to design not only the fountain but also the facades of the new buildings around it, giving coherence to the square, but he also had to deal with the demands of the prefet and city administration, which was paying for the project.Davioud's original project was for a fountain dedicated to peace, located in the center of the square. The prefect authorities rejected this idea and asked him instead to build a fountain to hide the end wall of the building at the corner of boulevard Saint-Michel and Saint-André des Arts. This forced Davioud to adapt his plan to the proportions of that building.

Palais de Justice, Paris
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
4, boulevard du Palais
Paris, France 75015

01 44 32 51 51

The Palais de Justice, formerly the Palais de la Cité, is located on the Boulevard du Palais in the Île de la Cité in central Paris, France.OverviewAmong the oldest surviving buildings of the former royal palace are the Sainte Chapelle (built c. 1240, during the reign of Louis IX) and the Conciergerie, a former prison, now a museum, where Marie Antoinette was imprisoned before being executed on the guillotine. The justice of the state has been dispensed at this site since medieval times. From the sixteenth century to the French Revolution this was the seat of the Parlement de Paris.The building was reconstructed between 1857 and 1868 by architects Joseph-Louis Duc and Honoré Daumet. The exterior includes sculptural work by Jean-Marie Bonnassieux.It was opened in October 1868 with little fanfare, save from a visit by Baron Haussmann, prefect of the Seine. It was awarded the Grand Prix de l'Empereur as the greatest work of art produced in France in the decade.Security is maintained by gendarmes.

Conciergerie
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
2 Boulevard du Palais
Paris, France 75001

01 53 40 60 80

The Conciergerie is a building in Paris, France, located on the west of the Île de la Cité (literally "Island of the City"), formerly a prison but presently used mostly for law courts. It was part of the former royal palace, the Palais de la Cité, which consisted of the Conciergerie, Palais de Justice and the Sainte-Chapelle. Hundreds of prisoners during the French Revolution were taken from the Conciergerie to be executed by guillotine at a number of locations around Paris.The Middle AgesThe west part of the island was originally the site of a Merovingian palace, and was known initially as the Palais de la Cité. From the 10th to the 14th centuries it was the main palace of the medieval Kings of France. During the reigns of Louis IX (Saint Louis) (1214–1270) and Philippe IV (Philip the Fair) (1284–1314) the Merovingian palace was extended and fortified more extensively.Louis IX added the Sainte-Chapelle and associated galleries, while Philippe IV created the towered facade on the Seine river side and a large hall. Both are excellent examples of French religious and secular architecture of the period. The Sainte-Chapelle was built in the French royal style to house the crown of thorns that was brought back from the Crusades and to serve as a royal chapel. The "Grande Salle" (Great Hall) was one of the largest in Europe, and its lower story, known as "La Salle des Gens d'Armes" (The Hall of the Soldiers) survives at 64m long, 27.5m wide and 8.5m high. It was used as a dining room for the 2,000 staff members who worked in the palace. It was heated with four large fireplaces and lit by many windows, now blocked. It was also used for royal banquets and judicial proceedings. The neighboring Salle des Gardes was used as an antechamber to the Great Hall immediately above, where the king held his lit de justice (a session of parliament in the king's presence).

Quai des Grands-Augustins
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
Quai des Grands-Augustins
Paris, France 75006

<>

Saint-Séverin, Paris
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
1 Rue des Prêtres Saint-Séverin 75005 Paris
Paris, France 75005

01 43 54 19 36

The Church of Saint-Séverin is a Roman Catholic church in the Latin Quarter of Paris, located on the lively tourist street Rue Saint-Séverin. It is one of the oldest churches that remains standing on the Left Bank, and it continues in use as a place of worship.HistorySéverin of Paris, a devout hermit, lived on the banks of the River Seine during the first half of the fifth century. The oratory which was built over his tomb became the site of a small Romanesque church which was built around the eleventh century. As a result of the rapidly expanding community on the Left Bank, it was decided a larger church was required. The new structure, built at the beginning of the thirteenth century in the Gothic style, had a nave with lateral aisles. An additional aisle on the south side was built in the early 14th century to accommodate the growing congregations from the nearby university.After the church was seriously damaged by fire in 1448 during the Hundred Years' War, the archpriest Guillaume d'Estouteville rebuilt the church in the Late-Gothic style, adding a new aisle to the north. In 1489, a semi-circular apse was added at the eastern end with an ambulatory complete with columns including the strangely coiled central pillar. Additional space was provided by constructing chapels along the outer aisles. After their completion in 1520, the church took on the general appearance it still has today. In 1643, a second sacristy was added and in 1673, the royal architect Jules Hardouin-Mansart built the Communion chapel on the church's southeast corner. In 1684, the decorator Charles le Brun modified the design of the choir, removing the rood screen and providing the apse columns with marble facing.

Saint-Séverin, Paris
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
1 Rue des Prêtres Saint-Séverin 75005 Paris
Paris, France 75005

01 43 54 19 36

The Church of Saint-Séverin is a Roman Catholic church in the Latin Quarter of Paris, located on the lively tourist street Rue Saint-Séverin. It is one of the oldest churches that remains standing on the Left Bank, and it continues in use as a place of worship.HistorySéverin of Paris, a devout hermit, lived on the banks of the River Seine during the first half of the fifth century. The oratory which was built over his tomb became the site of a small Romanesque church which was built around the eleventh century. As a result of the rapidly expanding community on the Left Bank, it was decided a larger church was required. The new structure, built at the beginning of the thirteenth century in the Gothic style, had a nave with lateral aisles. An additional aisle on the south side was built in the early 14th century to accommodate the growing congregations from the nearby university.After the church was seriously damaged by fire in 1448 during the Hundred Years' War, the archpriest Guillaume d'Estouteville rebuilt the church in the Late-Gothic style, adding a new aisle to the north. In 1489, a semi-circular apse was added at the eastern end with an ambulatory complete with columns including the strangely coiled central pillar. Additional space was provided by constructing chapels along the outer aisles. After their completion in 1520, the church took on the general appearance it still has today. In 1643, a second sacristy was added and in 1673, the royal architect Jules Hardouin-Mansart built the Communion chapel on the church's southeast corner. In 1684, the decorator Charles le Brun modified the design of the choir, removing the rood screen and providing the apse columns with marble facing.

Le Caveau de la Huchette
Distance: 0.0 mi Tourist Information
5 Rue de la Huchette
Paris, France 75005

0143266505

Le Caveau de la Huchette is a jazz club in the Latin Quarter of Paris. The building dates to the 16th century, but became a jazz club in 1949. The design has been compared to a cellar or labyrinth and allegedly it was once used by Rosicrucians and by those linked to Freemasonry.Since becoming a jazz club it has been a venue for American greats like Lionel Hampton, Count Basie, and Art Blakey, as well as leading French jazz musicians like Claude Luter and Claude Bolling. Sidney Bechet and Bill Coleman were American expatriates in France who are also associated with the club.It was featured in the film Les Tricheurs by Marcel Carné as well as other French language films. It is considered one of the important part of Paris's nightlife in general. At present it is owned by French vibraphonist Dany Doriz.The club inspired the creation of The Cavern Club, Mathew Street, Liverpool in 1957. The Beatles performed at the Cavern Club nearly 300 times in their early years. The Cavern was similar inside to Le Caveau with tunnels and thick brick arches.

Parvis Notre-Dame – place Jean-Paul-II
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
Parvis Notre-Dame
Paris, France 75004

<>

Le parvis Notre-Dame - place Jean-Paul-II est une place de Paris, située sur l'île de la Cité et sur laquelle s'étend le parvis de la cathédrale Notre-Dame (le parvis Notre-Dame souvent appelé parvis de Notre-Dame en français moderne). Une crypte archéologique y est également présente, ainsi que plusieurs statues, dont celle de Charlemagne.OdonymieDepuis le, la place s'appelle « parvis Notre-Dame - place Jean-Paul-II » en hommage au pape Jean-Paul II mort le. Le changement de nom a fait l'objet d'une cérémonie organisée par la mairie de Paris, en présence du maire de Paris Bertrand Delanoë, de l'archevêque de Paris monseigneur André Vingt-Trois, du nonce apostolique monseigneur Fortunato Baldelli, et du clergé de Paris.Ce changement d'appellation, par la décision municipale du, n'a pas fait l'unanimité au sein de la majorité municipale, car jugée contraire à la laïcité, et a fait l'objet de manifestations d'opposition. L'inauguration s'est faite sous très haute surveillance policière dans un climat tendu et a été marquée par une cinquantaine d'interpellations.

Parvis Notre-Dame – place Jean-Paul-II
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
Parvis Notre-Dame
Paris, France 75004

<>

Le parvis Notre-Dame - place Jean-Paul-II est une place de Paris, située sur l'île de la Cité et sur laquelle s'étend le parvis de la cathédrale Notre-Dame (le parvis Notre-Dame souvent appelé parvis de Notre-Dame en français moderne). Une crypte archéologique y est également présente, ainsi que plusieurs statues, dont celle de Charlemagne.OdonymieDepuis le, la place s'appelle « parvis Notre-Dame - place Jean-Paul-II » en hommage au pape Jean-Paul II mort le. Le changement de nom a fait l'objet d'une cérémonie organisée par la mairie de Paris, en présence du maire de Paris Bertrand Delanoë, de l'archevêque de Paris monseigneur André Vingt-Trois, du nonce apostolique monseigneur Fortunato Baldelli, et du clergé de Paris.Ce changement d'appellation, par la décision municipale du, n'a pas fait l'unanimité au sein de la majorité municipale, car jugée contraire à la laïcité, et a fait l'objet de manifestations d'opposition. L'inauguration s'est faite sous très haute surveillance policière dans un climat tendu et a été marquée par une cinquantaine d'interpellations.

Caveau De La Huchette
Distance: 0.0 mi Tourist Information
5 rue de la guchette
Paris, France

Square Jean-XXIII
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
Square Jean XXIII
Paris, France 75004

<>

Le square Jean-XXIII, nommé en l’honneur du pape Jean XXIII, est un grand square de Paris, situé dans arrondissement. Il a porté précédemment le nom de square de l’Archevêché.HistoireÀ cet emplacement se trouvait, au Moyen Âge, une voirie appelée motta papellardorum c'est-à-dire Motte aux Papelards ou simplement le Terrein, où s'égayait tout le personnel de l'église, lorsque celui-ci fut transformé en jardin.Plus tard, le poète et écrivain Nicolas Boileau habita et mourut dans une maison qui se trouvait rue de l'Abreuvoir (rue supprimée en 1809) à peu près à l'emplacement de la fontaine de la Vierge, œuvre d'Alphonse Vigoureux, rajoutée en 1845, un an après la création du square qui s'étend d'ailleurs sur.En 1870, le square devint parc d'artillerie.En 1906, on a érigé dans le square le buste de Goldoni, donné à la Ville par le duc Melzi d'Eril au nom de la Société Dantesque.LocalisationLe square est situé à la pointe amont de l’île de la Cité, au chevet de la cathédrale Notre-Dame de Paris.Ce site est desservi par la station de métro Cité.Films tournés au square Jean-XXIII 2011 : Minuit à Paris de Woody Allen

Saint-Séverin, Paris
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
1 Rue des Prêtres Saint-Séverin 75005 Paris
Paris, France 75005

L'église Saint-Séverin est une église du Quartier latin de Paris, située rue des Prêtres-Saint-Séverin dans le quartier de la Sorbonne dans le arrondissement de Paris.L'ensemble formé par l'église, la « maison paroissiale - presbytère », le square André-Lefèbvre et le cloître est délimité par la rue des Prêtres-Saint-Séverin, la rue de la Parcheminerie, la rue Saint-Jacques et la rue Saint-Séverin.Elle est de facto l'unique l'église paroissiale de la paroisse Saint-Séverin-Saint-Nicolas (les deux paroisses ayant été fusionnées en 1968). En effet, depuis 1977, l'église Saint-Nicolas-du-Chardonnet est occupée par des fidèles de la Fraternité sacerdotale Saint-Pie-X.

Saint-Séverin, Paris
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
1 Rue des Prêtres Saint-Séverin 75005 Paris
Paris, France 75005

L'église Saint-Séverin est une église du Quartier latin de Paris, située rue des Prêtres-Saint-Séverin dans le quartier de la Sorbonne dans le arrondissement de Paris.L'ensemble formé par l'église, la « maison paroissiale - presbytère », le square André-Lefèbvre et le cloître est délimité par la rue des Prêtres-Saint-Séverin, la rue de la Parcheminerie, la rue Saint-Jacques et la rue Saint-Séverin.Elle est de facto l'unique l'église paroissiale de la paroisse Saint-Séverin-Saint-Nicolas (les deux paroisses ayant été fusionnées en 1968). En effet, depuis 1977, l'église Saint-Nicolas-du-Chardonnet est occupée par des fidèles de la Fraternité sacerdotale Saint-Pie-X.

Landmark Near Petit Pont

Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Paris
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
6, Parvis Notre-Dame
Paris, France 75015

+33 (0)1 42 34 56 10

Fondée en 1163, la cathédrale Notre-Dame de Paris se dresse au coeur de l'île de la Cité et de Paris et est le témoin vivant de 850 ans d'histoire ! Page Facebook des 850 ans : http://www.facebook.com/notredamedeparis2013

St Michel Notre-Dame, Paris
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
Quai Saint-Michel
Paris, France 75005

<>

Place Saint-Michel
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
Place Saint-Michel
Paris, France 75005

La place Saint-Michel est une voie située dans le quartier de la Sorbonne et le quartier de la Monnaie des 5 et arrondissements à Paris, en France.HistoireLa place a été créée lors de la percée du boulevard Saint-Michel, en 1855 sous Napoléon III. Le pont Saint-Michel construit au, a été refait à la même période que la place.En août 1944, de vifs combats y opposèrent les étudiants de la Résistance aux Allemands.

Place Saint-Michel
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
Place Saint-Michel
Paris, France 75005

La place Saint-Michel est une voie située dans le quartier de la Sorbonne et le quartier de la Monnaie des 5 et arrondissements à Paris, en France.HistoireLa place a été créée lors de la percée du boulevard Saint-Michel, en 1855 sous Napoléon III. Le pont Saint-Michel construit au, a été refait à la même période que la place.En août 1944, de vifs combats y opposèrent les étudiants de la Résistance aux Allemands.

Pont Saint-Michel
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
Pont Saint-Michel
Paris, France 75005

Le pont Saint-Michel relie la place Saint-Michel (sur la rive gauche) au boulevard du Palais sur l'île de la Cité, à Paris. Il doit son nom au voisinage d'une chapelle consacrée à Saint-Michel qui existait dans le Palais royal.L'autre pont situé dans son prolongement vers le nord, reliant le boulevard du Palais au Châtelet sur la rive droite est le pont au Change.HistoireCe pont construit initialement en 1378 fut reconstruit plusieurs fois, en dernier lieu en 1857.Le pont en pierre de 1378La construction du pont en pierre fut décidée en 1353 par le parlement de Paris après accord avec le chapitre de la cathédrale Notre-Dame de Paris, le prévôt de Paris, ainsi que les bourgeois de la ville. Son emplacement fut fixé en aval du Petit-Pont, dans l'axe de la rue Saint-Denis, du Grand-Pont sur la rive droite et de la rue de la Harpe sur la rive gauche, ceci permettant une traversée directe de l'île de la Cité.

Pont Saint-Michel
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
Pont Saint-Michel
Paris, France 75005

Le pont Saint-Michel relie la place Saint-Michel (sur la rive gauche) au boulevard du Palais sur l'île de la Cité, à Paris. Il doit son nom au voisinage d'une chapelle consacrée à Saint-Michel qui existait dans le Palais royal.L'autre pont situé dans son prolongement vers le nord, reliant le boulevard du Palais au Châtelet sur la rive droite est le pont au Change.HistoireCe pont construit initialement en 1378 fut reconstruit plusieurs fois, en dernier lieu en 1857.Le pont en pierre de 1378La construction du pont en pierre fut décidée en 1353 par le parlement de Paris après accord avec le chapitre de la cathédrale Notre-Dame de Paris, le prévôt de Paris, ainsi que les bourgeois de la ville. Son emplacement fut fixé en aval du Petit-Pont, dans l'axe de la rue Saint-Denis, du Grand-Pont sur la rive droite et de la rue de la Harpe sur la rive gauche, ceci permettant une traversée directe de l'île de la Cité.

Pont Saint-Michel
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
Rue du pont st Michel
Paris, France 75005

0630783801

Pont Saint-Michel is a bridge linking the Place Saint-Michel on the left bank of the river Seine to the Île de la Cité. It was named after the nearby chapel of Saint-Michel. It is near Sainte Chapelle and the Palais de Justice. The present 62-metre-long bridge dates to 1857.HistoryFirst constructed in 1378, it has been rebuilt several times, most recently in 1857.The medieval bridgeThe construction of a stone bridge was decided upon in 1378 by the Parlement de Paris after an accord with the chapter of the cathedral of Notre-Dame de Paris, the provost of Paris, and the city's merchants. A location downstream of Petit-Pont was chosen, on the line of Rue Saint-Denis, from the Grand-Pont on the right bank and of Rue de la Harpe on the left bank. This allowed for a direct route across Île de la Cité.The provost, Hugues Aubriot, was charged with overseeing the project, which was funded by the king. Construction lasted from 1379 to 1387. Once complete, the Parisians named the bridge Pont-Neuf (New Bridge, but it should not be confused with the present-day Pont-Neuf), Petit-Pont-Neuf (Little New Bridge) or Pont Saint-Michel dit le Pont-Neuf (St. Michael's Bridge, known as the 'New' Bridge).

Fontaine Saint-Michel
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
Place St Michel
Paris, France 75006

<>

The Fontaine Saint-Michel is a monumental fountain located in Place Saint-Michel in the 5th arrondissement in Paris. It was constructed in 1858–1860 during the French Second Empire by the architect Gabriel Davioud.HistoryThe fontaine Saint-Michel was part of the great project for the reconstruction of Paris overseen by Baron Haussmann during the French Second Empire. In 1855 Haussmann completed an enormous new boulevard, originally called boulevard de Sébastopol-rive-gauche, now called Boulevard Saint-Michel, which opened up the small place Pont-Saint-Michel into a much larger space. Haussmann asked the architect of the service of promenades and plantations of the prefecture, Gabriel Davioud, to design a fountain which would be appropriate in scale to the new square. As the architect of the prefecture, he was able to design not only the fountain but also the facades of the new buildings around it, giving coherence to the square, but he also had to deal with the demands of the prefet and city administration, which was paying for the project.Davioud's original project was for a fountain dedicated to peace, located in the center of the square. The prefect authorities rejected this idea and asked him instead to build a fountain to hide the end wall of the building at the corner of boulevard Saint-Michel and Saint-André des Arts. This forced Davioud to adapt his plan to the proportions of that building.

Palais de Justice, Paris
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
4, boulevard du Palais
Paris, France 75015

01 44 32 51 51

The Palais de Justice, formerly the Palais de la Cité, is located on the Boulevard du Palais in the Île de la Cité in central Paris, France.OverviewAmong the oldest surviving buildings of the former royal palace are the Sainte Chapelle (built c. 1240, during the reign of Louis IX) and the Conciergerie, a former prison, now a museum, where Marie Antoinette was imprisoned before being executed on the guillotine. The justice of the state has been dispensed at this site since medieval times. From the sixteenth century to the French Revolution this was the seat of the Parlement de Paris.The building was reconstructed between 1857 and 1868 by architects Joseph-Louis Duc and Honoré Daumet. The exterior includes sculptural work by Jean-Marie Bonnassieux.It was opened in October 1868 with little fanfare, save from a visit by Baron Haussmann, prefect of the Seine. It was awarded the Grand Prix de l'Empereur as the greatest work of art produced in France in the decade.Security is maintained by gendarmes.

Conciergerie
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
2 Boulevard du Palais
Paris, France 75001

01 53 40 60 80

The Conciergerie is a building in Paris, France, located on the west of the Île de la Cité (literally "Island of the City"), formerly a prison but presently used mostly for law courts. It was part of the former royal palace, the Palais de la Cité, which consisted of the Conciergerie, Palais de Justice and the Sainte-Chapelle. Hundreds of prisoners during the French Revolution were taken from the Conciergerie to be executed by guillotine at a number of locations around Paris.The Middle AgesThe west part of the island was originally the site of a Merovingian palace, and was known initially as the Palais de la Cité. From the 10th to the 14th centuries it was the main palace of the medieval Kings of France. During the reigns of Louis IX (Saint Louis) (1214–1270) and Philippe IV (Philip the Fair) (1284–1314) the Merovingian palace was extended and fortified more extensively.Louis IX added the Sainte-Chapelle and associated galleries, while Philippe IV created the towered facade on the Seine river side and a large hall. Both are excellent examples of French religious and secular architecture of the period. The Sainte-Chapelle was built in the French royal style to house the crown of thorns that was brought back from the Crusades and to serve as a royal chapel. The "Grande Salle" (Great Hall) was one of the largest in Europe, and its lower story, known as "La Salle des Gens d'Armes" (The Hall of the Soldiers) survives at 64m long, 27.5m wide and 8.5m high. It was used as a dining room for the 2,000 staff members who worked in the palace. It was heated with four large fireplaces and lit by many windows, now blocked. It was also used for royal banquets and judicial proceedings. The neighboring Salle des Gardes was used as an antechamber to the Great Hall immediately above, where the king held his lit de justice (a session of parliament in the king's presence).

Quai des Grands-Augustins
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
Quai des Grands-Augustins
Paris, France 75006

<>

Saint-Séverin, Paris
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
1 Rue des Prêtres Saint-Séverin 75005 Paris
Paris, France 75005

01 43 54 19 36

The Church of Saint-Séverin is a Roman Catholic church in the Latin Quarter of Paris, located on the lively tourist street Rue Saint-Séverin. It is one of the oldest churches that remains standing on the Left Bank, and it continues in use as a place of worship.HistorySéverin of Paris, a devout hermit, lived on the banks of the River Seine during the first half of the fifth century. The oratory which was built over his tomb became the site of a small Romanesque church which was built around the eleventh century. As a result of the rapidly expanding community on the Left Bank, it was decided a larger church was required. The new structure, built at the beginning of the thirteenth century in the Gothic style, had a nave with lateral aisles. An additional aisle on the south side was built in the early 14th century to accommodate the growing congregations from the nearby university.After the church was seriously damaged by fire in 1448 during the Hundred Years' War, the archpriest Guillaume d'Estouteville rebuilt the church in the Late-Gothic style, adding a new aisle to the north. In 1489, a semi-circular apse was added at the eastern end with an ambulatory complete with columns including the strangely coiled central pillar. Additional space was provided by constructing chapels along the outer aisles. After their completion in 1520, the church took on the general appearance it still has today. In 1643, a second sacristy was added and in 1673, the royal architect Jules Hardouin-Mansart built the Communion chapel on the church's southeast corner. In 1684, the decorator Charles le Brun modified the design of the choir, removing the rood screen and providing the apse columns with marble facing.

Saint-Séverin, Paris
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
1 Rue des Prêtres Saint-Séverin 75005 Paris
Paris, France 75005

01 43 54 19 36

The Church of Saint-Séverin is a Roman Catholic church in the Latin Quarter of Paris, located on the lively tourist street Rue Saint-Séverin. It is one of the oldest churches that remains standing on the Left Bank, and it continues in use as a place of worship.HistorySéverin of Paris, a devout hermit, lived on the banks of the River Seine during the first half of the fifth century. The oratory which was built over his tomb became the site of a small Romanesque church which was built around the eleventh century. As a result of the rapidly expanding community on the Left Bank, it was decided a larger church was required. The new structure, built at the beginning of the thirteenth century in the Gothic style, had a nave with lateral aisles. An additional aisle on the south side was built in the early 14th century to accommodate the growing congregations from the nearby university.After the church was seriously damaged by fire in 1448 during the Hundred Years' War, the archpriest Guillaume d'Estouteville rebuilt the church in the Late-Gothic style, adding a new aisle to the north. In 1489, a semi-circular apse was added at the eastern end with an ambulatory complete with columns including the strangely coiled central pillar. Additional space was provided by constructing chapels along the outer aisles. After their completion in 1520, the church took on the general appearance it still has today. In 1643, a second sacristy was added and in 1673, the royal architect Jules Hardouin-Mansart built the Communion chapel on the church's southeast corner. In 1684, the decorator Charles le Brun modified the design of the choir, removing the rood screen and providing the apse columns with marble facing.

Le Caveau de la Huchette
Distance: 0.0 mi Tourist Information
5 Rue de la Huchette
Paris, France 75005

0143266505

Le Caveau de la Huchette is a jazz club in the Latin Quarter of Paris. The building dates to the 16th century, but became a jazz club in 1949. The design has been compared to a cellar or labyrinth and allegedly it was once used by Rosicrucians and by those linked to Freemasonry.Since becoming a jazz club it has been a venue for American greats like Lionel Hampton, Count Basie, and Art Blakey, as well as leading French jazz musicians like Claude Luter and Claude Bolling. Sidney Bechet and Bill Coleman were American expatriates in France who are also associated with the club.It was featured in the film Les Tricheurs by Marcel Carné as well as other French language films. It is considered one of the important part of Paris's nightlife in general. At present it is owned by French vibraphonist Dany Doriz.The club inspired the creation of The Cavern Club, Mathew Street, Liverpool in 1957. The Beatles performed at the Cavern Club nearly 300 times in their early years. The Cavern was similar inside to Le Caveau with tunnels and thick brick arches.

Parvis Notre-Dame – place Jean-Paul-II
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
Parvis Notre-Dame
Paris, France 75004

<>

Le parvis Notre-Dame - place Jean-Paul-II est une place de Paris, située sur l'île de la Cité et sur laquelle s'étend le parvis de la cathédrale Notre-Dame (le parvis Notre-Dame souvent appelé parvis de Notre-Dame en français moderne). Une crypte archéologique y est également présente, ainsi que plusieurs statues, dont celle de Charlemagne.OdonymieDepuis le, la place s'appelle « parvis Notre-Dame - place Jean-Paul-II » en hommage au pape Jean-Paul II mort le. Le changement de nom a fait l'objet d'une cérémonie organisée par la mairie de Paris, en présence du maire de Paris Bertrand Delanoë, de l'archevêque de Paris monseigneur André Vingt-Trois, du nonce apostolique monseigneur Fortunato Baldelli, et du clergé de Paris.Ce changement d'appellation, par la décision municipale du, n'a pas fait l'unanimité au sein de la majorité municipale, car jugée contraire à la laïcité, et a fait l'objet de manifestations d'opposition. L'inauguration s'est faite sous très haute surveillance policière dans un climat tendu et a été marquée par une cinquantaine d'interpellations.

Parvis Notre-Dame – place Jean-Paul-II
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
Parvis Notre-Dame
Paris, France 75004

<>

Le parvis Notre-Dame - place Jean-Paul-II est une place de Paris, située sur l'île de la Cité et sur laquelle s'étend le parvis de la cathédrale Notre-Dame (le parvis Notre-Dame souvent appelé parvis de Notre-Dame en français moderne). Une crypte archéologique y est également présente, ainsi que plusieurs statues, dont celle de Charlemagne.OdonymieDepuis le, la place s'appelle « parvis Notre-Dame - place Jean-Paul-II » en hommage au pape Jean-Paul II mort le. Le changement de nom a fait l'objet d'une cérémonie organisée par la mairie de Paris, en présence du maire de Paris Bertrand Delanoë, de l'archevêque de Paris monseigneur André Vingt-Trois, du nonce apostolique monseigneur Fortunato Baldelli, et du clergé de Paris.Ce changement d'appellation, par la décision municipale du, n'a pas fait l'unanimité au sein de la majorité municipale, car jugée contraire à la laïcité, et a fait l'objet de manifestations d'opposition. L'inauguration s'est faite sous très haute surveillance policière dans un climat tendu et a été marquée par une cinquantaine d'interpellations.

Caveau De La Huchette
Distance: 0.0 mi Tourist Information
5 rue de la guchette
Paris, France

Square Jean-XXIII
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
Square Jean XXIII
Paris, France 75004

<>

Le square Jean-XXIII, nommé en l’honneur du pape Jean XXIII, est un grand square de Paris, situé dans arrondissement. Il a porté précédemment le nom de square de l’Archevêché.HistoireÀ cet emplacement se trouvait, au Moyen Âge, une voirie appelée motta papellardorum c'est-à-dire Motte aux Papelards ou simplement le Terrein, où s'égayait tout le personnel de l'église, lorsque celui-ci fut transformé en jardin.Plus tard, le poète et écrivain Nicolas Boileau habita et mourut dans une maison qui se trouvait rue de l'Abreuvoir (rue supprimée en 1809) à peu près à l'emplacement de la fontaine de la Vierge, œuvre d'Alphonse Vigoureux, rajoutée en 1845, un an après la création du square qui s'étend d'ailleurs sur.En 1870, le square devint parc d'artillerie.En 1906, on a érigé dans le square le buste de Goldoni, donné à la Ville par le duc Melzi d'Eril au nom de la Société Dantesque.LocalisationLe square est situé à la pointe amont de l’île de la Cité, au chevet de la cathédrale Notre-Dame de Paris.Ce site est desservi par la station de métro Cité.Films tournés au square Jean-XXIII 2011 : Minuit à Paris de Woody Allen

Saint-Séverin, Paris
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
1 Rue des Prêtres Saint-Séverin 75005 Paris
Paris, France 75005

L'église Saint-Séverin est une église du Quartier latin de Paris, située rue des Prêtres-Saint-Séverin dans le quartier de la Sorbonne dans le arrondissement de Paris.L'ensemble formé par l'église, la « maison paroissiale - presbytère », le square André-Lefèbvre et le cloître est délimité par la rue des Prêtres-Saint-Séverin, la rue de la Parcheminerie, la rue Saint-Jacques et la rue Saint-Séverin.Elle est de facto l'unique l'église paroissiale de la paroisse Saint-Séverin-Saint-Nicolas (les deux paroisses ayant été fusionnées en 1968). En effet, depuis 1977, l'église Saint-Nicolas-du-Chardonnet est occupée par des fidèles de la Fraternité sacerdotale Saint-Pie-X.

Saint-Séverin, Paris
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
1 Rue des Prêtres Saint-Séverin 75005 Paris
Paris, France 75005

L'église Saint-Séverin est une église du Quartier latin de Paris, située rue des Prêtres-Saint-Séverin dans le quartier de la Sorbonne dans le arrondissement de Paris.L'ensemble formé par l'église, la « maison paroissiale - presbytère », le square André-Lefèbvre et le cloître est délimité par la rue des Prêtres-Saint-Séverin, la rue de la Parcheminerie, la rue Saint-Jacques et la rue Saint-Séverin.Elle est de facto l'unique l'église paroissiale de la paroisse Saint-Séverin-Saint-Nicolas (les deux paroisses ayant été fusionnées en 1968). En effet, depuis 1977, l'église Saint-Nicolas-du-Chardonnet est occupée par des fidèles de la Fraternité sacerdotale Saint-Pie-X.

Place to Eat/Drink Near Petit Pont

Fontaine Saint-Michel
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
Place St Michel
Paris, France 75006

<>

Pont Saint-Michel
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
Pont Saint-Michel
Paris, France 75005

Le pont Saint-Michel relie la place Saint-Michel (sur la rive gauche) au boulevard du Palais sur l'île de la Cité, à Paris. Il doit son nom au voisinage d'une chapelle consacrée à Saint-Michel qui existait dans le Palais royal.L'autre pont situé dans son prolongement vers le nord, reliant le boulevard du Palais au Châtelet sur la rive droite est le pont au Change.HistoireCe pont construit initialement en 1378 fut reconstruit plusieurs fois, en dernier lieu en 1857.Le pont en pierre de 1378La construction du pont en pierre fut décidée en 1353 par le parlement de Paris après accord avec le chapitre de la cathédrale Notre-Dame de Paris, le prévôt de Paris, ainsi que les bourgeois de la ville. Son emplacement fut fixé en aval du Petit-Pont, dans l'axe de la rue Saint-Denis, du Grand-Pont sur la rive droite et de la rue de la Harpe sur la rive gauche, ceci permettant une traversée directe de l'île de la Cité.

La Nouvelle Seine
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
Sur Berges, Face au 3 quai de Montebello
Paris, France 75005

0143540808

Péniche Henjo
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
47 Quai de la Tournelle
Paris, France 75005

La Cuisine Paris
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
80 Quai de l'Hôtel de Ville
Paris, France 75004

+33140517818

La Cuisine Paris is a French cooking school in the heart of Paris offering a variety of different cooking classes in English, from preparing a three-course meal to mastering a perfectly buttery croissant. La Cuisine Paris' staff includes a dynamic team of skilled international professional chefs (French and non-French), all talented in their own wonderful way. Coming from different backgrounds and experiences, they all share a common value: the desire to share their "savoir faire" and passion with you. Come discover our kitchen ("la cuisine"): roll up your sleeves, learn something new, share a few laughs and enjoy the entire cooking experience.

Au Trappiste
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
4 Rue Saint-Denis
Paris, France 75001

01 42 33 08 50

Parvis Notre-Dame – place Jean-Paul-II
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
Parvis Notre-Dame
Paris, France 75004

<>

Le parvis Notre-Dame - place Jean-Paul-II est une place de Paris, située sur l'île de la Cité et sur laquelle s'étend le parvis de la cathédrale Notre-Dame (le parvis Notre-Dame souvent appelé parvis de Notre-Dame en français moderne). Une crypte archéologique y est également présente, ainsi que plusieurs statues, dont celle de Charlemagne.OdonymieDepuis le, la place s'appelle « parvis Notre-Dame - place Jean-Paul-II » en hommage au pape Jean-Paul II mort le. Le changement de nom a fait l'objet d'une cérémonie organisée par la mairie de Paris, en présence du maire de Paris Bertrand Delanoë, de l'archevêque de Paris monseigneur André Vingt-Trois, du nonce apostolique monseigneur Fortunato Baldelli, et du clergé de Paris.Ce changement d'appellation, par la décision municipale du, n'a pas fait l'unanimité au sein de la majorité municipale, car jugée contraire à la laïcité, et a fait l'objet de manifestations d'opposition. L'inauguration s'est faite sous très haute surveillance policière dans un climat tendu et a été marquée par une cinquantaine d'interpellations.

Le Buci, St Germain des Près
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
52 rue Dauphine
Paris, France 75006

Buci
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
6 Rue Buci
Paris, France 75006

01 43 26 04 13

Square Jean-XXIII
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
Square Jean XXIII
Paris, France 75004

<>

Le square Jean-XXIII, nommé en l’honneur du pape Jean XXIII, est un grand square de Paris, situé dans arrondissement. Il a porté précédemment le nom de square de l’Archevêché.HistoireÀ cet emplacement se trouvait, au Moyen Âge, une voirie appelée motta papellardorum c'est-à-dire Motte aux Papelards ou simplement le Terrein, où s'égayait tout le personnel de l'église, lorsque celui-ci fut transformé en jardin.Plus tard, le poète et écrivain Nicolas Boileau habita et mourut dans une maison qui se trouvait rue de l'Abreuvoir (rue supprimée en 1809) à peu près à l'emplacement de la fontaine de la Vierge, œuvre d'Alphonse Vigoureux, rajoutée en 1845, un an après la création du square qui s'étend d'ailleurs sur.En 1870, le square devint parc d'artillerie.En 1906, on a érigé dans le square le buste de Goldoni, donné à la Ville par le duc Melzi d'Eril au nom de la Société Dantesque.LocalisationLe square est situé à la pointe amont de l’île de la Cité, au chevet de la cathédrale Notre-Dame de Paris.Ce site est desservi par la station de métro Cité.Films tournés au square Jean-XXIII 2011 : Minuit à Paris de Woody Allen

O'Sullivans Rebel Bar
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
10 Rue des Lombards
Paris, France 75004

Le Rive Gauche St Michel
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
6 place Saint Michel
Paris, France 75006

01 40 51 06 28

La Méditerranée
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
2 Place de l'Odéon
Paris, France 75006

01 43 26 02 30

Le Porte-Pot
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
14 rue Boutebrie
Paris, France 75005

0143252424

La Comète
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
140 rue de la Roquette
Paris, France 75011

01 40 24 06 83

Au Bon Couscous
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
7 rue Xavier Privas
Paris, France 75005

01 56 24 30 50

Pont Louis-Philippe
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Pont Louis-Philippe
Paris, France 75004

Le pont Louis-Philippe est un pont situé à Paris et passant sur la Seine, entre la rive droite et l'Île Saint-Louis.SituationLe pont Louis-Philippe est situé dans le IV arrondissement et relie le quartier Notre-Dame au quartier Saint-Gervais.Ce site est desservi par la station de métro Pont Marie.HistoireLe pont suspenduC'est le 29 juillet 1833, pour fêter son accession au trône à l'issue des Trois Glorieuses, que Louis-Philippe pose la première pierre d'un pont suspendu d'abord anonyme, situé dans le prolongement de la rue du Pont Louis-Philippe (qui vit le jour cette même année). Construit par Marc Seguin et ses frères, il traverse la Seine en biais jusqu'au quai aux Fleurs en passant par l'île Saint-Louis. Il est ouvert à la circulation un an plus tard, le 26 juillet 1834. Après la révolution de 1848 pendant laquelle il est incendié, il est restauré et baptisé « pont de la Réforme » jusqu'en 1852.

Vins et Terroirs
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
66 Rue Saint Andre des Arts
Paris, France 75006

+33146330077

Tabac De La Sorbonne
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
5 Place de la Sorbonne
Paris, France 75005

<>

Rue de la Huchette
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
Rue de la Huchette
Paris, France 75005

The rue de la Huchette is one of the oldest streets running along the Rive Gauche in Paris. Running eastward just below the Seine river from the Place Saint-Michel, it is today an animated Latin Quarter artery with one of the highest concentrations of restaurants in the city — Greek specialties predominating. It is situated between Boulevard Saint-Michel and Rue Saint-Jacques and faces the cathedral of Notre-Dame de Paris. This almost exclusively pedestrian street is very popular with tourists. Disdained by some guidebooks as "Bacteria Alley", the street nevertheless has an intense night life with no less than four pubs and several bars.HistoryThe rue de la Huchette existed as early as 1200 as the rue de Laas, a road running adjacent to a walled vineyard property known then as the clos du Laas. The property was sold and divided for urban development in the early 13th century, grew many noble properties in the centuries following, but from the 17th century the rue de la Huchette was known mostly for its taverns and rotisseries ("meat-roasters").The inhabitants of the rue de la Huchette in the period leading up to the Second World War are portrayed in Elliot Paul's book The Last Time I Saw Paris (1942). The period after the Second World War is covered in Paul's book Springtime in Paris (1950).

Landmark Near Petit Pont

Petit Pont
Distance: 0.0 mi Tourist Information
1 Rue Petit Pont
Bisinchi, France 75005

0495387464

The Petit Pont is a bridge crossing the River Seine in Paris, built in 1853, although a structure has crossed the river at this point since antiquity. The present bridge is a single stone arch linking the 4th arrondissement and the Île de la Cité, with the 5th arrondissement, between quai de Montebello and quai Saint-Michel. The Petit Pont is notable for having been destroyed, at least thirteen times since its original inception during Gallo-Roman times to the mid-19th century. It is served by the Metro station Saint-Michel.HistoryA bridge linking the Île de la Cité with the southern bank of the Seine has existed on this spot since early history. In the Roman predecessor to Paris, Lutetia Parisiorum, a bridge was built to utilize the convenient ford of the Seine, today's Île de la Cité. Often a victim of floods, the structure has been repeatedly rebuilt. The first known flood destroying this bridge was in 885 AD. The bridge subsequently was carried away by successive floods at least thirteen times between 885 and 1658, and at least eleven times before it was built in stone. In 1175, following yet another flood, the bishop of Paris Maurice de Sully gave his support for a new reconstruction, this time in stone. Further, after a flood destroyed the structure again in 1393, the construction of another stone bridge on the site was funded by a tax of 9,500 livres on the Jews living in Paris.

Parvis Notre-Dame – place Jean-Paul-II
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
Parvis Notre-Dame
Paris, France 75004

Parvis Notre-Dame – place Jean-Paul-II is the official name of the square consisting of the parvise of Notre Dame de Paris on the Île de la Cité. It was known simply as the place du Parvis-Notre-Dame until 2006 when it was renamed in honour of Pope John Paul II who died in 2005. The change generated controversy.The parvis was originally much smaller and its current shape dates back to the extensive urban renewal plans of Baron Haussmann during the Second French Empire.The square is also the location of France's Kilometre Zero which is indicated by a stone of the parvis.

Point zéro des routes de France
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
Place du Parvis-Notre-Dame
Paris, France 75004

Le point zéro des routes de France est le point zéro de Paris, c'est-à-dire le point kilométrique 0 des routes quittant la capitale, dont on se sert comme référence pour le calcul des distances avec les autres villes de France. Il est situé devant la cathédrale Notre-Dame de Paris.Localisation et descriptionLe point zéro est situé à une cinquantaine de mètres devant l'entrée de Notre-Dame, sur l'Île de la Cité, dans le arrondissement. La borne routière qui matérialise ce point dans les pavés du parvis de la cathédrale prend la forme d'une rose des vents gravée au centre d'un médaillon octogonal en bronze ; celui-ci est entouré d'une dalle circulaire en pierre divisée en quatre quartiers, chacun d'eux portant l'une des inscriptions en lettres capitales : « POINT », « ZÉRO », « DES ROUTES » et « DE FRANCE ».

Saint-Séverin, Paris
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
1 Rue des Prêtres Saint-Séverin 75005 Paris
Paris, France 75005

01 43 54 19 36

The Church of Saint-Séverin is a Roman Catholic church in the Latin Quarter of Paris, located on the lively tourist street Rue Saint-Séverin. It is one of the oldest churches that remains standing on the Left Bank, and it continues in use as a place of worship.HistorySéverin of Paris, a devout hermit, lived on the banks of the River Seine during the first half of the fifth century. The oratory which was built over his tomb became the site of a small Romanesque church which was built around the eleventh century. As a result of the rapidly expanding community on the Left Bank, it was decided a larger church was required. The new structure, built at the beginning of the thirteenth century in the Gothic style, had a nave with lateral aisles. An additional aisle on the south side was built in the early 14th century to accommodate the growing congregations from the nearby university.After the church was seriously damaged by fire in 1448 during the Hundred Years' War, the archpriest Guillaume d'Estouteville rebuilt the church in the Late-Gothic style, adding a new aisle to the north. In 1489, a semi-circular apse was added at the eastern end with an ambulatory complete with columns including the strangely coiled central pillar. Additional space was provided by constructing chapels along the outer aisles. After their completion in 1520, the church took on the general appearance it still has today. In 1643, a second sacristy was added and in 1673, the royal architect Jules Hardouin-Mansart built the Communion chapel on the church's southeast corner. In 1684, the decorator Charles le Brun modified the design of the choir, removing the rood screen and providing the apse columns with marble facing.

Pont Saint-Michel
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
Pont Saint-Michel
Paris, France 75005

Le pont Saint-Michel relie la place Saint-Michel (sur la rive gauche) au boulevard du Palais sur l'île de la Cité, à Paris. Il doit son nom au voisinage d'une chapelle consacrée à Saint-Michel qui existait dans le Palais royal.L'autre pont situé dans son prolongement vers le nord, reliant le boulevard du Palais au Châtelet sur la rive droite est le pont au Change.HistoireCe pont construit initialement en 1378 fut reconstruit plusieurs fois, en dernier lieu en 1857.Le pont en pierre de 1378La construction du pont en pierre fut décidée en 1353 par le parlement de Paris après accord avec le chapitre de la cathédrale Notre-Dame de Paris, le prévôt de Paris, ainsi que les bourgeois de la ville. Son emplacement fut fixé en aval du Petit-Pont, dans l'axe de la rue Saint-Denis, du Grand-Pont sur la rive droite et de la rue de la Harpe sur la rive gauche, ceci permettant une traversée directe de l'île de la Cité.

Fontaine Saint-Michel
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
Place St Michel
Paris, France 75006

<>

The Fontaine Saint-Michel is a monumental fountain located in Place Saint-Michel in the 5th arrondissement in Paris. It was constructed in 1858–1860 during the French Second Empire by the architect Gabriel Davioud.HistoryThe fontaine Saint-Michel was part of the great project for the reconstruction of Paris overseen by Baron Haussmann during the French Second Empire. In 1855 Haussmann completed an enormous new boulevard, originally called boulevard de Sébastopol-rive-gauche, now called Boulevard Saint-Michel, which opened up the small place Pont-Saint-Michel into a much larger space. Haussmann asked the architect of the service of promenades and plantations of the prefecture, Gabriel Davioud, to design a fountain which would be appropriate in scale to the new square. As the architect of the prefecture, he was able to design not only the fountain but also the facades of the new buildings around it, giving coherence to the square, but he also had to deal with the demands of the prefet and city administration, which was paying for the project.Davioud's original project was for a fountain dedicated to peace, located in the center of the square. The prefect authorities rejected this idea and asked him instead to build a fountain to hide the end wall of the building at the corner of boulevard Saint-Michel and Saint-André des Arts. This forced Davioud to adapt his plan to the proportions of that building.

Fontaine Saint-Michel
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
11 Place Saint-Michel
Paris, France

La fuente Saint-Michel es una fuente parisina situada en el VI distrito de la ciudad. Se encuentra en el corazón del barrio latino y ocupa la totalidad de una de las paredes de un edificio de seis plantas. Fue catalogada como monumento histórico en 1926.HistoriaLa fuente, cuya estructura principal es la de un arco de triunfo, se enmarca dentro del plan de transformación de París durante el Segundo Imperio puesto en marcha por Barón Haussmann bajo Napoleon III de cara a ocultar una antiestética fachada generada por las obras de apertura del bulevar Saint-Michel. Descartada la idea inicial de decorarla con una estatua monumental de Napoleón Bonaparte, se optó finalmente por una obra que representara la lucha del Bien y del Mal donde el Arcángel Miguel, espada en mano, aparece sometiendo al Demonio.Gabriel Davioud ayudado por Flament, Simonet y Halo se encargan de poner en pie la obra. Alcanza 26 metros de altura y 15 de ancho. La estatua del arcángel sometiendo al Demonio es obra de Francisque Duret. En la parte baja, dos dragones, realizados por Henri-Alfred Jacquemart, escupen agua a un estanque situado a los pies de la escalinata que lleva hasta el pedestal de la escultura principal. La decoración de la fuente se completa con cuatro estatuas de bronce situadas sobre otras tantas columnas corintias adosadas de mármol rojo del Languedoc que representan a las cuatro virtudes cardinales: la templanza (de Charles Gumery), la justicia (de Louis Valentin Robert), la prudencia (de Jean Auguste Barre) y la fortaleza (de Eugène Guillaume). Por último en la parte superior, se sitúa un panel de mármol verde con una inscripción que conmemora el edificio, rodeado por dos pilastras de apoyo, rematados en su cúspide por un frontón roto que muestra el escudo de armas del emperador.

Direction Régionale de Police Judiciaire de Paris
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
36, quai des Orfèvres
Paris, France 75001

The Direction Régionale de Police Judiciaire de Paris, often called the 36, quai des Orfèvres or simply the 36 by the address of its headquarters, is the division of the Police judiciaire in Paris. Its 2,200 officers investigate about 15,000 crimes and offences a year.The Police judiciaire, abbreviated PJ, is the criminal investigation division of the Police nationale.36, quai des Orfèvres is often erroneously believed to be the address of the Direction Centrale de la Police Judiciaire, the national authority of the criminal police, which is actually located at the 11, rue des Saussaies, in the buildings of the Ministry of the Interior.HistoryThe PJ is the direct successor of the Sûreté, which was founded in 1812 by Eugène François Vidocq as the criminal investigative bureau of the Paris police. The Sûreté served later as an inspiration for Scotland Yard, the FBI and other departments of criminal investigation throughout the world.In its modern form, the Parisian PJ was created by a decree by Celestin Hennion, the then préfet de police and father of the elite mobile police units called Brigades du Tigre. Unique for their time, they were created with the support of Georges Clémenceau, who was nicknamed "le tigre" (the Tiger). It explains why the PJ emblem consists of a stylized tiger's head.

36, quai des Orfèvres
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
36, quai des Orfèvres
Paris, France 75001

Le 36, quai des Orfèvres est le bâtiment où se trouvent le siège, l'état-major et les services communs de la Direction régionale de la police judiciaire de la Préfecture de police de Paris. Attenant au Palais de justice de la capitale, il est situé au numéro 36 du quai des Orfèvres, sur l'île de la Cité, face à la rive gauche, dans le arrondissement.HistoriqueLe bâtiment a été construit entre 1875 et 1880, sur les plans des architectes Émile Jacques Gilbert et son gendre Arthur-Stanislas Diet, à l'emplacement de l'ancien hôtel du premier président de la cour d'appel de Paris, qui fut détruit par l'incendie volontaire survenu lors de la Commune le, et qui détruisit également une bonne part du Palais de justice mitoyen. La préfecture de police de Paris a donc dû quitter son ancien emplacement, et fut installée dans de nouveaux locaux, par Jules Ferry, dans une partie des bâtiments du palais de Justice qui venait d'être reconstruit au 36, quai des Orfèvres.

Palais de Justice, Paris
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
4, boulevard du Palais
Paris, France 75015

01 44 32 51 51

The Palais de Justice, formerly the Palais de la Cité, is located on the Boulevard du Palais in the Île de la Cité in central Paris, France.OverviewAmong the oldest surviving buildings of the former royal palace are the Sainte Chapelle (built c. 1240, during the reign of Louis IX) and the Conciergerie, a former prison, now a museum, where Marie Antoinette was imprisoned before being executed on the guillotine. The justice of the state has been dispensed at this site since medieval times. From the sixteenth century to the French Revolution this was the seat of the Parlement de Paris.The building was reconstructed between 1857 and 1868 by architects Joseph-Louis Duc and Honoré Daumet. The exterior includes sculptural work by Jean-Marie Bonnassieux.It was opened in October 1868 with little fanfare, save from a visit by Baron Haussmann, prefect of the Seine. It was awarded the Grand Prix de l'Empereur as the greatest work of art produced in France in the decade.Security is maintained by gendarmes.

Square Jean-XXIII
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
Square Jean XXIII
Paris, France 75004

<>

Le square Jean-XXIII, nommé en l’honneur du pape Jean XXIII, est un grand square de Paris, situé dans arrondissement. Il a porté précédemment le nom de square de l’Archevêché.HistoireÀ cet emplacement se trouvait, au Moyen Âge, une voirie appelée motta papellardorum c'est-à-dire Motte aux Papelards ou simplement le Terrein, où s'égayait tout le personnel de l'église, lorsque celui-ci fut transformé en jardin.Plus tard, le poète et écrivain Nicolas Boileau habita et mourut dans une maison qui se trouvait rue de l'Abreuvoir (rue supprimée en 1809) à peu près à l'emplacement de la fontaine de la Vierge, œuvre d'Alphonse Vigoureux, rajoutée en 1845, un an après la création du square qui s'étend d'ailleurs sur.En 1870, le square devint parc d'artillerie.En 1906, on a érigé dans le square le buste de Goldoni, donné à la Ville par le duc Melzi d'Eril au nom de la Société Dantesque.LocalisationLe square est situé à la pointe amont de l’île de la Cité, au chevet de la cathédrale Notre-Dame de Paris.Ce site est desservi par la station de métro Cité.Films tournés au square Jean-XXIII 2011 : Minuit à Paris de Woody Allen

École spéciale des travaux publics
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
28 avenue du Président Wilson, Cachan
Paris, France 75005

01 44 41 11 18

L'École spéciale des travaux publics, du bâtiment et de l'industrie est l'une des plus prestigieuses écoles d'ingenieurs en France, et l'une des plus réputées dans le domaine du génie civil. Elle fait partie des 210 écoles d'ingénieurs françaises capables de délivrer un diplôme d'ingénieur.La durée de la scolarité ingénieur est de trois ans après le cursus de classes préparatoires aux grandes écoles ou par admission sur titre. Elle a été fondée en 1891 à Paris dans le arrondissement, entre la rue Thénard et le boulevard Saint-Germain, au cœur du Quartier latin.Le campus de Cachan, érigé en 1905 pour accueillir les laboratoires, est désormais le seul site de l'école depuis la rentrée 2011 à accueillir les élèves en formation d'ingénieur et de techniciens spécialisés « conducteurs de travaux. »L'ESTP Paris forme également des techniciens supérieurs dans le domaine des travaux publics et du bâtiment. L'école, membre du G16+ ainsi que du Pôle Universitaire Paris-Est, est rattachée depuis 1999 à Arts et Métiers Paristech.Fondation de l'écoleNé à Tulle dans un milieu modeste, Léon Eyrolles est reçu en 1882 conducteur des ponts et chaussées. Tout en exerçant ses fonctions dans l’administration, il aide quelques collègues à préparer le concours de conducteur des Ponts et chaussées. L’École des ponts et chaussées est pratiquement le seul établissement d’enseignement supérieur dans le domaine des travaux publics alors que l’époque est aux grands travaux sollicités par la révolution technique (avènement de l'électricité, du téléphone, naissance de l’architecture métallique, du béton armé etc.)

Conciergerie
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
2 Boulevard du Palais
Paris, France 75001

01 53 40 60 80

The Conciergerie is a building in Paris, France, located on the west of the Île de la Cité (literally "Island of the City"), formerly a prison but presently used mostly for law courts. It was part of the former royal palace, the Palais de la Cité, which consisted of the Conciergerie, Palais de Justice and the Sainte-Chapelle. Hundreds of prisoners during the French Revolution were taken from the Conciergerie to be executed by guillotine at a number of locations around Paris.The Middle AgesThe west part of the island was originally the site of a Merovingian palace, and was known initially as the Palais de la Cité. From the 10th to the 14th centuries it was the main palace of the medieval Kings of France. During the reigns of Louis IX (Saint Louis) (1214–1270) and Philippe IV (Philip the Fair) (1284–1314) the Merovingian palace was extended and fortified more extensively.Louis IX added the Sainte-Chapelle and associated galleries, while Philippe IV created the towered facade on the Seine river side and a large hall. Both are excellent examples of French religious and secular architecture of the period. The Sainte-Chapelle was built in the French royal style to house the crown of thorns that was brought back from the Crusades and to serve as a royal chapel. The "Grande Salle" (Great Hall) was one of the largest in Europe, and its lower story, known as "La Salle des Gens d'Armes" (The Hall of the Soldiers) survives at 64m long, 27.5m wide and 8.5m high. It was used as a dining room for the 2,000 staff members who worked in the palace. It was heated with four large fireplaces and lit by many windows, now blocked. It was also used for royal banquets and judicial proceedings. The neighboring Salle des Gardes was used as an antechamber to the Great Hall immediately above, where the king held his lit de justice (a session of parliament in the king's presence).

Urban crime
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
9 rue des fleurs
Paris, France 2002

0751518070

Hôtel de Cluny
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
6, place Paul Painlevé
Paris, France

L'Hôtel de Cluny, situé dans le V arrondissement de Paris (France), au cœur du Quartier latin, est dès le le lieu de résidence des abbés de l'ordre de Cluny enseignant au Collège de Cluny. À partir du, et jusqu'à la Révolution française, il abrite des nonces apostoliques ainsi que des particuliers. En 1843, l'État en fait un musée devenu aujourd'hui le Musée national du Moyen Âge, ou Musée de Cluny.Histoire de l'hôtelL'hôtel des Abbés de ClunyLes bâtiments accueillaient les abbés de l'ordre de Cluny en Bourgogne dès le. À la fin du, le bâtiment construit par Jean III de Bourbon et a été agrandi par Jacques d'Amboise, abbé de Cluny (1485-1510). Les armes d'Amboise, « trois pals alternés d'or et de gueules », ornent les lucarnes ouvragées de la façade ainsi que les gâbles des fenêtres hautes.L'hôtel accueille régulièrement les abbés de Cluny et certains dignitaires importants.La jeune Marie d'Angleterre y est enfermée pendant 40 jours en janvier 1515 pour s'assurer qu'elle ne porte pas d'héritier à la mort de son mari le roi Louis XII de France, ainsi la couronne passe à son cousin, le futur roi François . Le 3 mars 1515, Marie y épouse secrètement et sans le consentement de son frère le roi Henri VIII, son favori, Charles Brandon, duc de Suffolk.

La Morgue de París 1864-1907
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
quai de l'Archevêché
Paris, France

18641864

...La morgue de París funcionó como inconfesable espectáculo de entretenimiento desde 1864 hasta marzo de 1907, cuando fue cerrada al público. Conviene notar que aun las autoridades administrativas a cuyo cargo estaba esta institución participaban en el voyeurismo colectivo. Ciertas disposiciones, como la colocación de grandes cortinajes verdes en las ventanas —comparables a los telones de un proscenio— resultan congruentes con esta interpretación. Desde 1877 se empezó a fotografiar sistemáticamente a todos los cadáveres (hoy algunas de estas imágenes se aprecian entre amateurs de arte vanguardista), y las fotos de aquellos que habían sido enterrados sin ser previamente identificados se clavaban en una barda de madera a la entrada de la morgue, para así prolongar el periodo de exhibición —y acrecentar, dicho sea de paso, la semejanza con los anuncios y fotos publicitarias a la entrada de una sala de cine o teatro. Parecidamente, las nuevas técnicas de refrigeración se empezaron a aplicar desde 1882, e hicieron posible prolongar la duración del espectáculo. Antes, el único sistema de enfriamiento consistía en dejar escurrir un hilo de agua fría constantemente sobre los cadáveres. Los adelantos en la tecnología de la refrigeración llamaron mucho la atención de una sociedad que apenas acababa de descubrir la influencia de las bacterias en la descomposición de la materia orgánica. Pasteur era el héroe nacional del momento. El público parisino, tradicionalmente burlón y travieso, no tardó en dar muestras de su espíritu zarandillo. Se imprimió una burlesca invitación a la morgue, supuestamente para una "tardeada de música y danza". La firmaba un tal Monsieur Reffroidy, que se me ocurre pudiéramos transponer al español como "Don Refrigerio" o "Señor Frigorídez"... Fragmento de: La faz visible de la muerte Por Francisco González Crussí

Musée National du Moyen Âge
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
6 place Paul Painlevé
Paris, France 75005

Court of Cassation
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
5 Quai de l'Horloge
Paris, France 75001

La Cour de cassation est la juridiction la plus élevée de l'ordre judiciaire français. Elle est, dans ce dernier, le pendant du Conseil d'État dans l'ordre administratif. C'est une juridiction permanente, qui siège au palais de justice de Paris, au.La Cour de cassation comprend six chambres : une chambre criminelle ; cinq chambres civiles : une chambre commerciale ; une chambre sociale ; une chambre civile spécialisée en droit des personnes, de la famille et des contrats ; une chambre civile spécialisée en responsabilité civile et sécurité sociale ; une chambre civile spécialisée en droit immobilier et droit de la construction. Cette Cour prononce la cassation et l'annulation des décisions de justice qui ont été rendues au prix d'une méconnaissance de la loi.La Cour de cassation est donc le juge du droit : elle s'assure en effet uniquement de ce que, à la lecture des motifs de la décision frappée de pourvoi, la loi a été correctement appliquée aux faits tels qu'ils ont été constatés par les juges du fond :.Les faits ne peuvent donc plus être discutés devant la Cour de cassation. Elle n'est donc pas dotée d'une plénitude de juridiction, si bien qu'elle ne constitue pas un troisième degré de juridiction (chaque degré de juridiction supposant une plénitude de juridiction, c'est-à-dire le pouvoir de juger en droit et en fait).

Musée des Collections Historiques de la Préfecture de Police
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
4 Rue de la Montagne Sainte-Geneviève
Paris, France 75005

01 44 41 52 50

The Musée des Collections Historiques de la Préfecture de Police, also known as the Musée de la Préfecture de Police, is a museum of police history in the 5th arrondissement of Paris, France. It is located in the Hôtel de police at 4, rue de la Montagne-Sainte-Geneviève. The museum is open daily except Sunday; admission is free.The museum was originally started by prefect Louis Lépine (1846-1933) for the Exposition Universelle (1900), and has gradually grown through subsequent years. It now contains evidence, photographs, letters, memorabilia, and drawings that reflect major events in the history of France (including conspiracies and arrests), famous criminal cases and characters, prisons, and daily life in the capital such as traffic and hygiene. Exhibits include a guillotine, uniforms, the pistol used in the assassination of Paul Doumer, and relics of the World War II occupation including German machine guns and insignias worn by Jews.

Hôtel de Miramion
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
47 quai de la Tournelle
Paris, France 75005

L'hôtel de Miramion est un hôtel particulier parisien, situé au 47, quai de la Tournelle, dans le arrondissement.Il a longtemps abrité le Musée de l'AP-HP (Assistance publique - Hôpitaux de Paris), ainsi que certains services du siège de l'AP-HP. Le musée est fermé depuis le 30 juin 2012, et devrait rouvrir ses portes au sein de l'Hôtel-Dieu de Paris. L'hôtel a été vendu par l'AP-HP afin de dégager des ressources financières pour investir dans la modernisation des hôpitaux.HistoireAu temps des BernardinsImplanté dans le quadrilatère délimité par le boulevard Saint-Germain, les quais de Seine, la rue de Pontoise et la rue des Bernardins, dans un quartier voué aux études théologiques et à l’enseignement et où la Réforme catholique s’affirme avec force au, l’hôtel de Miramion, d’abord connu sous le nom de son premier propriétaire, Christophe Martin, fut édifié dans l’enclos des Bernardins.Ce terrain faisait partie du clos du Chardonnet, bande de terre s’étendant de la Seine au plateau boisé de Saint-Étienne du Mont et bordé par la Bièvre. Ce n’est qu’après les invasions normandes que le peuplement de cette zone se développe et transforme l’aspect du territoire. Des établissements monastiques s’y installent. Des paroisses nouvelles marquent le début de l’urbanisation ; la première chapelle Saint-Nicolas-du-Chardonnet est construite vers 1230 pour les bateliers de la Seine.