EuroZoid
Discover The Most Popular Places In Europe

Fenchurch Street, London | Tourist Information


Fenchurch Street
London, United Kingdom EC3M 4


Fenchurch Street is a street in London linking Aldgate at its eastern end with Lombard Street and Gracechurch Street in the west. It is a well-known thoroughfare in the City of London financial district and is the site of a large number of corporate offices and headquartersTo the south of Fenchurch Street and towards its eastern end is Fenchurch Street railway station, a mainline terminus with services towards east London and Essex. Other notable sites include the commercial buildings at 20 Fenchurch Street and Plantation Place.StreetscapeFenchurch Street is home to a large number of shops, pubs and offices, including 20 Fenchurch Street, a 525 ft tall skyscraper completed in 2014.Located at No. 71 is Lloyd's Register, where the annual journal Lloyd's Registry was previously published. The frontage on Fenchurch Street was built in 1901 by Thomas Edward Collcutt and is a Grade II* listed building. The more modern building behind was designed by Richard Rogers and towers above it. This was completed in 1999 and was shortlisted for the RIBA Stirling prize in 2002.At the street's eastern end and junction with Aldgate is the Aldgate Pump, a historic water pump which has been designated a Grade II listed structure. Further west, Fenchurch Street's junction with Lime Street was formerly the location of a Christopher Wren church, St Dionis Backchurch. First built in the 13th century dedicated to the patron saint of France, it was destroyed during the Great Fire in 1666, later rebuilt by Wren, and then demolished in 1878.

Community and Government Near Fenchurch Street

Harris Academy Bermondsey
Distance: 1.4 mi Tourist Information
55 Southwark Park Rd
London, SE16 3

020 7237 9316

Harris Academy Bermondsey is a secondary school located inside the London Borough of Southwark district of Bermondsey. The school takes in girls between the ages of 11 and 16 and in 2006 the school joined a federation of schools in South London called the Harris Federation named after the Lord Harris of Peckham who is sponsoring them. Prior to its transformation into an academy, the school was known as Aylwin Girls' School. The school also takes part in fundraising for annual trips to Sri Lanka in association with the Yala Fund, a charity which helps build and improve schools in towns in Sri Lanka.LocationThe academy is located on the A2206, on Southwark Park Road. The nearest train station is South Bermondsey, which is on the South London Line and connects to Peckham and Crystal Palace, with a new station, New Bermondsey, possible on the proposed London Overground East London Line connecting to Clapham Junction. The nearest tube station, Bermondsey on the Jubilee line, is located on Jamaica Road.

Greenwich Old Naval College
Distance: 1.4 mi Tourist Information
King William Walk, Greenwich
London, SE1 6

Rockingham Community Centre
Distance: 1.3 mi Tourist Information
Falmouth Rd
London, SE1 6

020 7403 7475

Metro Central Heights
Distance: 1.4 mi Tourist Information
119 Newington Causeway
London, SE1

Ministry Of Sound V.I.P
Distance: 1.3 mi Tourist Information
103 Gaunt St London SE1 6DP
London,

44 870 060 0010

Ministry Of Sound, Elephant And Castle, London
Distance: 1.3 mi Tourist Information
103 Gaunt Street
London, SE1 6DP

+44 870 060 0010

Ministry Of Sound
Distance: 1.3 mi Tourist Information
103 Gaunt Street
London, SE1 6DP

Bermondsey Market
Distance: 1.0 mi Tourist Information
Bermondsey Square, London, SE1 3UN
London, SE1 3

020 7234 0805

Bermondsey Market is an antiques market located at Bermondsey Square on Tower Bridge Road in Bermondsey, part of the London Borough of Southwark, in South London, England. The location was formerly the site of Bermondsey Abbey. The site underwent redevelopment in 2006 and the market remained open during this period.HistoryThe Caledonian Market moved to its current location in 1950 after the old Caledonian Market site in Islington was designated for redevelopment in the late 1940s.Marché ouvertThe opening hours of the Bermondsey Market from 6am until noon reflect the ancient law of market ouvert, which was abolished in 1995. Under this law, in number of designated markets, including Bermondsey Market, if an item was sold between sunset and sunrise then its provenance could not be questioned, so stolen goods could be traded and good title would pass to the purchaser. To quote Minister for the Arts Estelle Morris in July 2003 during the Second Reading of the Dealing In Cultural Objects Bill: I did not have information about marché ouvert in the deep recesses of my mind, but experts reliably inform me that it no longer exists. The hon. Member for Uxbridge will be surprised to learn that it has been abolished only recently. It used to exist in designated markets, including Bermondsey. I am sure that the promoter will be interested in telling the hon. Member for Southwark, North and Bermondsey about that. In it, items could be sold before sunrise. Believe it or not, in this land of ours, people could sell stolen—my officials put "dodgy" in brackets, but we do not use that term—objects. I assure hon. Members that it has been abolished. I hope that that deals with the fears of the hon. Member for Uxbridge.

What is Bermondsey?
Distance: 1.0 mi Tourist Information
Bermondsey SQ
London, SE1 3FD

07949206309

This is the page for the Bermondsey Neighbourhod Forum, the group who are working with the local community to put together a neighbourhood plan for Bermondsey

Transparency International UK - Defence & Security Programme
Distance: 1.0 mi Tourist Information
7-14 Great Dover Street
London, SE1 4YR

02030967676

In 2000, Transparency International UK brought together governments, defence companies, academics, and civil society organisations to consider whether circumstances had changed so that it would be possible for civil society to engage with the problem of corruption in the defence sector and national defence establishments. Two conferences on this topic were held: in Stockholm in February 2000, supported by the Swedish Ministry for Foreign Affairs and Trade, and in Cambridge in April 2001, supported by DFID of the UK. All the participants – governments, defence companies and civil society - concluded that an initiative to reduce corruption and increase transparency and accountability in the defence and security sector was both needed and possible. Since 2004, the UK Department for International Development has provided support to Transparency International UK to work with all those involved - governments, international organisations, defence companies, and civil society - to address corruption in the defence sector. The Defence and Security Programme today is an international programme of TI situated within TI-UK in London. Since 2004, Transparency International's Defence and Security Programme (TI DSP) has actively engaged with the defence and security ministries and armed forces of a wide range of countries, including Colombia, Norway, Afghanistan, Bulgaria, Ukraine, the UK, Greece, Croatia and Bosnia. We have also worked directly with individuals from Defence Ministries, Security Ministries and Armed Forces from more than 35 nations through training programmes, research, workshops and roundtables, and high-level policy action. Our Counter Corruption Work with other Organisations We have worked with a number of International Organisations, including the UN, NATO, and the World Bank. In recent years, our work with the UN has focused primarily on the Arms Trade Treaty, where we have made the case for robust anti-corruption measures to be included in the final treaty. In partnership with NATO, we have developed and collaborated on a major programme called ‘Building Integrity’, which has developed counter-corruption tools such as an integrity self-assessment process for nations , pre-deployment training and dedicated training courses. These tools have proven to be very well received and are now being used by many nations. We have worked closely with European and American defence companies, in particular to stimulate a sector wide initiatives similar to those in other industry sectors such as oil and gas, and construction. The European defence industry has since developed the ‘Common industry standards’ against corruption, and a global initiative is currently underway. We have an active collaboration with other civil society organisations in the field of corruption. We work closely with national chapters of Transparency International, as well as with other civil society organisations, including Oxfam, Saferworld, the Arias Foundation of Costa Rica, and many others. Finally, we have built a body of knowledge on tackling defence and security corruption. Our research over the past 11 years has formed the basis of our activities and helped us develop the practical tools we use with governments and armed forces, companies, and other civil society organisations.

Barking and Dagenham Cycling Campaign
Distance: 0.9 mi Tourist Information
c/o LCC, 2 Newham's Row
London, SE1 3UZ

(020) 8144 8591 / +44 7761 577255

We are the Barking & Dagenham Branch of the London Cycling Campaign. We work with individuals and organisations in the borough to promote and advocate cycling for leisure, recreation, amenity and transport.

Probation
Distance: 0.9 mi Tourist Information
4 Great Dover Street
London,

Bermondsey Village Hall
Distance: 0.8 mi Tourist Information
Kirby Grove
London, SE1 3TD

020 7378 1078

Ryan Bennett
Distance: 0.9 mi Tourist Information
200 Borough High Street
London, SE1 1JX

44 20 7378 0415

Raachel Thompson
Distance: 0.9 mi Tourist Information
200 Borough High Street
London, SE1 1JX

+44 20 7378 0415

Sian Chandler
Distance: 0.9 mi Tourist Information
200 Borough High Street
London, SE1 1JX

020 7378 0415

World Hepatitis Alliance
Distance: 0.8 mi Tourist Information
7, Rue du marché (Swiss address) / 1 Baden Place (UK & Mailing Address)
London, 1204 / SE1 1YW

+44 (0) 20 7378 0159

Tooley St
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
Tooley Street
London, SE1

Shad Thames
Distance: 0.8 mi Tourist Information
Shad Thames
London, SE1 2YG

020 7357 6594

Shad Thames is a historic riverside street next to Tower Bridge in Bermondsey, London, England, and is also an informal name for the surrounding area.LocationThe street Shad Thames has Tower Bridge at its west end, and runs along the south side of the River Thames, set back behind a row of converted warehouses; it then takes a 90-degree turn south along St Saviour's Dock. The street is partly cobbled. The nearest stations are Tower Hill, Tower Gateway, Bermondsey, and London Bridge.NameThe street Shad Thames is named as such in John Rocque's 1747 map of London. The name may be a corruption of 'St John-at-Thames', a reference to the St John's Church which once stood south-west of the street, where the present-day London City Mission is located (and thus is not related to nearby Shadwell).The surrounding area is also today called Shad Thames, or Butler's Wharf (after the largest of the riverside warehouses). Both names refer to a 350× rectangle of streets, converted warehouses and newer buildings, bounded by the River Thames, Tower Bridge Road, Tooley Street and St Saviour's Dock (or arguably Mill Street); it forms the most north-easterly corner of the SE1 postcode district.

Family Mosaic
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
Albion House, 20 Queen Elizabeth Street
London, SE1 2RJ

020 7089 1000

Ronald McDonald House
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
115-122 Snowsfields
London, SE1 3SS

020 7188 0447

Ronald McDonald House Guy’s and St Thomas’ provides free ‘home away from home’ accommodation to families with children in hospital.

Bankside Open Spaces Trust
Distance: 0.9 mi Tourist Information
Red Cross Garden, 50 Redcross Way, London, United Kingdom
London, SE1 1HA

020 7403 3393

London Fire Brigade Southwark traning center
Distance: 1.0 mi Tourist Information
94 Southwark Bridge Road
London, SE1 0

London Fire Brigade
Distance: 1.0 mi Tourist Information
169 Union Street
London, SE1 0LL

The London Fire Brigade is the statutory fire and rescue service for London. It was formed by the Metropolitan Fire Brigade Act of 1865 under the leadership of Superintendent Eyre Massey Shaw.It is the second largest of all the fire services in the United Kingdom, after the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service and the fifth-largest in the world with nearly 5,992 staff, including 5,096 operational firefighters and officers based at 103 fire stations.Ron Dobson is the Commissioner for Fire and Emergency Planning, which includes the position of Chief Fire Officer; he replaced Ken Knight in 2007. Statutory responsibility for the running of the brigade lies with the London Fire and Emergency Planning Authority.In 2013/14 the LFB handled 171,067 999 emergency calls. Of the calls it mobilised to, 20,934 were fires, including 10,992 that were of a serious nature, making it one of the busiest fire services in the world. In the same period, it received 3,172 hoax calls, the highest number of any UK fire service, but crews were mobilised to only 1,424 of them.

Guy's Hospital
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
St Thomas St
London, SE1 1

020 7188 7188

Guy's Hospital is a large NHS hospital in the borough of Southwark in central London. It is part of Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust and one of the institutions that comprise the King's Health Partners, an academic health science centre. It is a large teaching hospital and is, with St Thomas' Hospital and King's College Hospital, the location of King's College London School of Medicine (formerly known as the GKT School of Medicine). The Tower Wing (formerly known as Guy's Tower) is the world's tallest hospital building, standing at with 34 floors.HistoryThe hospital was founded in 1721 by Thomas Guy, a publisher of unlicensed Bibles who had made a fortune in the South Sea Bubble. It was originally established as a hospital to treat "incurables" discharged from St Thomas' Hospital. Guy had been a Governor and benefactor of St Thomas' and his fellow Governors supported his intention by granting the south-side of St Thomas' Street for a peppercorn rent for 999 years. Guy is interred in the crypt of the Chapel of his foundation.

Jerwood Space
Distance: 1.0 mi Tourist Information
171 Union St
London, SE1 0

020 7654 0171

Jerwood Space is an arts venue at Bankside on Union Street, Southwark, London. The facilities include rehearsal studios, gallery/exhibition space, meeting rooms, a café, etc. Exhibits include contemporary art and photography throughout the building.The formal foundation stone for the building was laid by Chris Smith, now Lord Smith of Finsbury, when he was Secretary of State for Culture.

Red Bull UK
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
155-171 Tooley Street
London, SE1 2

Jerwood Gallery
Distance: 1.0 mi Tourist Information
171 Union Street
London, SE1 0LN

+44 (0) 20 7654 0173

Landmark and Historical Place Near Fenchurch Street

The Shard London
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
32 London Bridge Street
London, United Kingdom SE1 9SG

The iconic Shard, at 310m high (1,016 ft), is Europe’s first vertical town. Designed by Renzo Piano, its 72 floors comprise a 26-floor office complex, three world-class restaurants, a 19-floor five-star Shangri-La Hotel, 13 floors of exclusive residential apartments and the UK’s highest viewing galleries. The Shard is the tallest building in the European Union and was opened to the public on 1 February 2013. The Shard is jointly owned by the State of Qatar and the Sellar Property Group. HOUSE RULES Welcome to The Shard, in the heart of London Bridge. We hope our Facebook page can be a place where our community can feel free to express their feelings and opinions about The Shard or share their experiences with our building, our businesses or our neighbourhood. We welcome feedback, both positive and negative, and we aim to respond to comments that necessitate an answer promptly. Our Facebook house rules are designed to serve as a guideline to ensure our online community can enjoy our Facebook page in a pleasant environment. Guidelines First of all, we ask that you please use polite language and tone at all times. Please be mindful that our page attracts a wide audience and we ask that your comments are respectful and on-topic. It’s the policy of The Shard’s Facebook team that we don’t normally moderate Facebook posts, but we won’t tolerate abusive language, disruptive behaviour or illegal or objectionable content. This includes any material which might be defamatory, offensive, infringing, obscene, lewd, pornographic, violent, abusive, insulting, threatening, harassing, discriminatory, blasphemous, indecent or otherwise unlawful or objectionable. It also includes any material which is aggressive, argumentative or likely to be construed as bullying. No spamming or repetition, please, nor off-topic material in subject-specific threads or areas. We also will not tolerate language, content, postings or links that we consider racist, sexist, homophobic or grossly off-topic. If we consider a posting to fit any of these categories, it will be removed from our Facebook page. Get in Touch There’s a chance we might miss something, so if you are concerned that a user is breaking these rules on our Facebook page, please do let us know. Or if you feel we’ve hidden your post unnecessarily, we’re happy to provide an explanation. You can message us directly via this Facebook page or you can email us via [email protected] And do please keep in mind that the comments expressed within our Facebook page, unless an official post from The Shard, come from you – our community of fans – and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of The Shard.

City Hall, London
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
110 The Queens Walk, LONDON, SE1 2AA
London, United Kingdom SE1 2

20-79834100

City Hall is the headquarters of the Greater London Authority (GLA), which comprises the Mayor of London and the London Assembly. It is located in Southwark, on the south bank of the River Thames near Tower Bridge. It was designed by Norman Foster and opened in July 2002, two years after the Greater London Authority was created.BackgroundFor the first two years of its existence, the Greater London Authority was based at Romney House, Marsham Street in Westminster. Meetings of the London Assembly took place at Emmanuel Centre, also on Marsham Street.City Hall was constructed at a cost of £43 million on a site formerly occupied by wharves serving the Pool of London. The building does not belong to the GLA but is leased under a 25-year rent. Despite its name, City Hall is not in and does not serve a city (as recognised by English constitutional law), which often adds to the confusion of Greater London with the City of London, which has its headquarters at Guildhall. In June 2011, Mayor Boris Johnson announced that for the duration of the London 2012 Olympic Games, the building would be called London House.

Tower Bridge
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
Tower Bridge Road
London, United Kingdom SE1 2UP

+44 (0)20 7403 3761

An iconic London landmark and one of Britain's best loved historic sites, Tower Bridge is open to the public 363 days a year. Within the Bridge's iconic structure and magnificent Victorian Engine rooms, the Tower Bridge Exhibition is the best way of exploring the most famous bridge in the world! Come learn about this incredible feat of Victorian engineering, discover how the Bridge is raised and enjoy stunning panoramic views across London from our high-level walkways, 42 metres above the River Thames. Opening Times: 10:00 - 18:30 (last admission 17:30) Facebook is a public page. Please bear this in mind when posting your comments, especially regarding personal information. Further information on the City of London Corporation can be found at www.cityoflondon.gov.uk. The City of London Corporation is always happy to hear from you but please keep posts relevant. All comments will be monitored by Facebook and the City and any comments that are offensive or inappropriate will be removed. People who persistently cause conflict or offence to others will be removed and blocked from our social media pages.

The Shard
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
32 London Bridge Street
London, United Kingdom SE1 2TH

The View from The Shard
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
Joiner Street
London, United Kingdom SE1 9QU

+44(0)844 499 7111

The View from The Shard is situated at the top of The Shard – the tallest building in Western Europe, and is London’s newest visitor attraction. At almost twice the height of any other viewing platform in London, The View from The Shard offers visitors a 360 degree view of London for up to 40 miles. Advanced tickets are £25.95 for adults and £19.95 for children. Visits are queue and crowd free, and visitors are allowed to stay and enjoy the view for as long as they like. www.theviewfromtheshard.com

London Bridge bus station
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
London Bridge Station Unit 10
London, United Kingdom SE1 9SP

020 7357 0069

London Bridge bus station serves the London Bridge area of the city of London and is situated at the London Bridge tube and rail station.There are three stands at the station which are situated on the station forecourt.London Buses routes 17, 43, 48, 141, 149 and 521 and night routes N21 and N343 serve the station.New bus stationA new bus station was built as part of the new Shard London Bridge "Gem" development which was open in 2012.

Hay's Galleria
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
Unit 22, Hays Galleria, Tooley Street,
London, United Kingdom SE1 2HD

020 7407 4301

Hay's Galleria is a mixed use building in the London Borough of Southwark situated on the south bank of the River Thames including offices, restaurants, shops and flats. Originally a warehouse and associated wharf for the port of London, it was redeveloped in the 1980s. It is a Grade II listed structure.HistoryHay's WharfHay's Galleria is named after its original owner, the merchant Alexander Hay, who acquired the property – then a brewhouse – in 1651. In around 1840 John Humphrey Jnr acquired a lease on the property. He asked William Cubitt (who was father-in-law to two of Humphrey's sons) to convert it into a 'wharf', in fact an enclosed dock, in 1856 and it was renamed Hay's Wharf.During the nineteenth century, the wharf was one of the chief delivery points for ships bringing tea to the Pool of London. At its height, 80% of the dry produce imported to London passed through the wharf, and on this account the Wharf was nicknamed 'the Larder of London'. The Wharf was largely rebuilt following the Great Fire of Southwark in June 1861 and then continued in use for nearly a century until it was badly bombed in September 1940 during the Second World War. The progressive adoption of containerisation during the 1960s led to the shipping industry moving to deep water ports further down the Thames and the subsequent closure of Hay's Wharf in 1970.

HMS Belfast
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
The Queen's Walk
London, United Kingdom SE1 2

020 7940 6300

Follow us on Facebook and join our growing community of fans. Discover in-depth information about HMS Belfast, special content, and discuss and share with others.

HMS Belfast
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
Morgan's Lane
London, United Kingdom SE1 2

HMS „Belfast” – krążownik lekki brytyjskiej marynarki Royal Navy z okresu II wojny światowej.BudowaWraz z siostrzanym HMS „Edinburgh”, krążownik należał do typu Edinburgh, określanego też jako trzecia seria typu Town. Oba krążowniki zamówione przez Admiralicję w roku 1936 miały być brytyjską odpowiedzią na zwodowanie dwóch włoskich krążowników typu Giuseppe Garibaldi o wyporności 9591 ton. Do służby w Royal Navy HMS „Belfast” wcielony w sierpniu 1939 roku.Okres II wojny światowej„Belfast” rozpoczął wojnę w składzie 18 Eskadry Krążowników Home Fleet pod dowództwem kapitana J. Scotta. 9 października 1939 HMS „Belfast” przechwycił na północ od Orkadów niemiecki liniowiec „Cap Norte” o pojemności 13 615 BRT. Wkrótce potem przeniesiony został do bazy w Rosyth, gdzie 21 listopada 1939 podczas wychodzenia z portu krążownik wszedł na niemiecką minę magnetyczną postawioną przez U-21. Eksplodująca pod dnem mina spowodowała na tyle poważne uszkodzenia kadłuba, że HMS „Belfast” został wyłączony z działań na okres 3 lat.Po remoncie okręt ponownie został wcielony do służby 8 grudnia 1942, zostając w styczniu następnego roku okrętem flagowym 10 Eskadry Krążowników Home Fleet pod komendą kontradmirała Burnetta. Pierwszą operacją HMS „Belfast” na Morzu Arktycznym była osłona konwoju JW-53 w lutym 1943 roku. Również kolejny konwój JW-54 płynący w dwóch częściach w listopadzie 1943 roku był osłaniany przez 10 Eskadrę Krążowników.

St Katharine Docks
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
St Katharine Docks
London, United Kingdom E1W 1

020 7264 5312

St Katharine Docks, in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets, were one of the commercial docks serving London, on the north side of the river Thames just east (downstream) of the Tower of London and Tower Bridge. They were part of the Port of London, in the area now known as the Docklands, and are now a popular housing and leisure complex.HistorySt Katharine Docks took their name from the former hospital of St Katharine's by the Tower, built in the 12th century, which stood on the site. An intensely built-up 23 acre (9.5 hectares) site was earmarked for redevelopment by an Act of Parliament in 1825, with construction commencing in May 1827. Some 1250 houses were demolished, together with the medieval hospital of St. Katharine. Around 11,300 inhabitants, mostly port workers crammed into unsanitary slums, lost their homes; only the property owners received compensation. The scheme was designed by engineer Thomas Telford and was his only major project in London. To create as much quayside as possible, the docks were designed in the form of two linked basins (East and West), both accessed via an entrance lock from the Thames. Steam engines designed by James Watt and Matthew Boulton kept the water level in the basins about four feet above that of the tidal river. By 1830, the docks had cost over £2 million to build.

London Bridge
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
London Bridge (A3)
London, United Kingdom EC4R 3

02074036996

Many historical bridges named London Bridge have spanned the River Thames between the City of London and Southwark, in central London. The current crossing, which opened to traffic in 1974, is a box girder bridge built from concrete and steel. This replaced a 19th-century stone-arched bridge, which in turn superseded a 600-year-old medieval structure. This was preceded by a succession of timber bridges, the first built by the Roman founders of London.The current bridge stands at the western end of the Pool of London but is positioned upstream from previous alignments. The traditional ends of the medieval bridge were marked by St Magnus-the-Martyr on the northern bank and Southwark Cathedral on the southern shore. Until Putney Bridge opened in 1729, London Bridge was the only road-crossing of the Thames downstream of Kingston-upon-Thames. Its importance has been the subject of popular culture throughout the ages such as in the nursery rhyme "London Bridge Is Falling Down" and its inclusion within art and literature.The modern bridge is owned and maintained by Bridge House Estates, an independent charity overseen by the City of London Corporation. It carries the A3 road, which is maintained by the Greater London Authority. The crossing also delineates an area along the southern bank of the River Thames, between London Bridge and Tower Bridge, that has been designated as a business improvement district.

St Dunstan-in-the-East
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
St Dunstan's Hill
London, United Kingdom EC3R 5

St Dunstan-in-the-East was a Church of England parish church on St Dunstan's Hill, halfway between London Bridge and the Tower of London in the City of London. The church was largely destroyed in the Second World War and the ruins are now a public garden.HistoryThe church was originally built in about 1100. A new south aisle was added in 1391 and the church was repaired in 1631 at a cost of more than £2,400.It was severely damaged in the Great Fire of London in 1666. Rather than being completely rebuilt, the damaged church was patched up between 1668 and 1671. A steeple was added in 1695–1701 to the designs of Sir Christopher Wren. It was built in a gothic style sympathetic to main body of the church, though with heavy string courses of a kind not used in the Middle Ages. It has a needle spire carried on four flying buttresses in the manner of that of St Nicholas in Newcastle. The restored church had wooden carvings by Grinling Gibbons and an organ by Father Smith, which was transferred to the abbey at St Albans in 1818.In 1817 it was found that the weight of the nave roof had thrust the walls seven inches out of the perpendicular. It was decided to rebuild the church from the level of the arches, but the state of the structure proved so bad that the whole building was taken down. It was rebuilt to a design in the perpendicular style by David Laing (then architect to the Board of Customs) with assistance from William Tite. The foundation stone was laid in November 1817 and the church re-opened for worship in January 1821. Built of Portland stone, with a plaster lierne nave vault, it was 115 feet long and 65 feet wide and could accommodate between six and seven hundred people. The cost of the work was £36,000. Wren's tower was retained in the new building.

St Mary Abchurch
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Abchurch Lane
London, United Kingdom EC4N 5

20-76260306

St Mary Abchurch is a Church of England church off Cannon Street in the City of London. Dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary, it is first mentioned in 1198–1199. The medieval church was destroyed in the Great Fire of London in 1666, and replaced by the present building.HistoryMedieval churchThe church dates back to the twelfth century and is dedicated to the Virgin Mary. The additional name "Abchurch" may be a variant of "Upchurch", referring to its position on comparatively high ground.The patronage of the church belonged to the convent of St Mary Overy, Southwark, until around 1455, when it passed to the master and chaplains of the college of Corpus Christi at the church of St Laurence Pountney. After the Reformation, Archbishop Parker persuaded Elizabeth I to grant the church to his college, Corpus Christi, Cambridge, which has appointed the incumbent ever since."Restored and beautified" in 1611 at the cost of the parishioners, St Mary's was destroyed in the Great Fire of London of 1666.RebuildingThe church was rebuilt by the office of Sir Christopher Wren in 1681–1686. The parish was united with that of the nearby church of St Laurence Pontney, also destroyed in the Great Fire but not rebuilt.Wartime damage and repairA bomb hit the church in September 1940 during the London Blitz. The greatest damage was to the dome. W. Godfrey Allen repaired the church between 1948–1953.

St Stephen's, Walbrook
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
38 Walbrook
London, United Kingdom EC4N 4

20-76269000

St Stephen Walbrook is a church in the City of London, part of the Church of England's Diocese of London. The present domed building was erected to the designs of Sir Christopher Wren following the destruction of its medieval predecessor in the Great Fire of London in 1666. It is located in Walbrook, next to the Mansion House, and near to Bank and Monument Underground stations.Early historyThe original church of St Stephen stood on the west side of the Walbrook, a stream running southwards across the City of London from the City Wall near Moorfields to the Thames.The church was moved to its present site, on the east side of the Walbrook (later concealed in a culvert), in the 15th century. In 1429 Robert Chichely, acting as executor of will of the former Lord Mayor, Sir William Stondon, bought a piece of land on the east side of the Walbrook, and presented it to the parish. Several foundation stones were laid at a ceremony on 11 May 1429, and the church was consecrated ten years later, on 30 April 1439. At 125ft long and 67ft wide, it was considerably larger than the present building.The church was destroyed in the Great Fire of London in 1666. It contained a memorial to the composer John Dunstaple. The wording of the epitaph had been recorded in the early 17th century, and was reinstated in the church in 1904, some 450 years after his death. The nearby church of St Benet Sherehog, also destroyed in the Great Fire, was not rebuilt; instead its parish was united with that of St Stephen.

Aldgate
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
Aldgate High Street
London, United Kingdom

020 7636 8309

Aldgate was the eastern-most gateway through the London Wall leading from the City of London to Whitechapel and the East End of London. It gives its name to a City ward bounded by White Kennet Street in the north and Crutched Friars in the south, taking in Leadenhall and Fenchurch Streets, which remain principal thoroughfares through the City, each splitting from the short street named Aldgate that connects to Aldgate High Street. The road is situated 2.3mi east north-east of Charing Cross.John Cass's school, where a plaque records the former placement of London Wall, is sited on the north side of Aldgate (the street).EtymologyThe etymology of the name "Aldgate" is disputed. It is first recorded in 1052 as Æst geat ("east gate") but had become Alegate by 1108. Writing in the 16th century, John Stow derived the name from "Old Gate" (Aeld Gate). However, Henry Harben, writing in 1918, contended that this was wrong and that documents show that the "d" is missing in documents written before 1486–7. Alternative meanings include "Ale Gate" in connection with a putative ale-house or "All Gate" meaning the gate was free to all. Other possibilities canvassed by Harben include reference to a Saxon named "Ealh," or reference to foreigners ("el") or oil ("ele") or "awl". Gillian Bebbington, writing in 1972, suggests Alegate, Aelgate ("public gate") or Aeldgate" (Old Gate") as equally viable alternatives whilst Weinreb and Hibbert, writing in 1983, revert to Stow's theory that the name means "Old Gate".

The Gerkin
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
30 St Mary Axe
London, United Kingdom EC3A 8

020 7071 5029

St Margaret Lothbury
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
Lothbury
London, United Kingdom EC2R 7HH

020 7726 4878

St Margaret Lothbury is a Church of England parish church in the City of London; it spans the boundary between Coleman Street Ward and Broad Street Ward. Recorded since the 12th century, the church was destroyed in the Great Fire of London in 1666 and rebuilt by the office of Sir Christopher Wren. St Margaret Lothbury still serves as a parish church, as well as being the official church of five Livery Companies, two Ward Clubs and two Professional Institutes. It also has connections with many local finance houses, all of which hold special services each year.HistoryThe earliest mention of St Margaret Lothbury is from 1185. The patronage of the church belonged to the abbess and convent of Barking, Essex until the Dissolution, when it passed to the Crown.It was rebuilt in 1440, mostly at the expense of Robert Large, who was Lord Mayor that year and is remembered as the Master of whom Caxton served his apprenticeship. It suffered as did so many of London's churches in the Great Fire of London of 1666 and was rebuilt by Christopher Wren from 1686 to 1690.In 1781 the parish of the church of St Christopher le Stocks, demolished to make way for an extension for the Bank of England, was united with that of St Margaret Lothbury.

Heron Tower
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
110 Bishopsgate
London, United Kingdom EC2M 3

+442035359015

The Heron Tower is a commercial skyscraper in London. It stands 230m tall including its 28-metre mast making it the tallest building in the City of London financial district and the third tallest in Greater London and the United Kingdom, after the Shard in Southwark and One Canada Square at Canary Wharf. The Heron Tower is located on Bishopsgate and is bordered by Camomile Street, Outwich Street and Houndsditch.Construction of the building started in 2007 and was completed in 2011. It is owned by Heron International and is generally known as the Heron Tower, though following a naming dispute in 2014 involving the tenant Salesforce.com the City of London ruled in favour of the property being officially named 110 Bishopsgate. The tower initially struggled to attract tenants in the depths of the Great Recession, but is now fully let.Design and planningDesigned by architects Kohn Pedersen Fox, the height of the Heron Tower was planned to be only 183 m, identical to that of Tower 42, the City of London's then tallest building since 1980.It attracted some controversy when first announced due to its proximity to St Paul's Cathedral when viewed from Waterloo Bridge. English Heritage was notably vocal in expressing concerns. A public inquiry was subsequently held, the outcome of which was decided by deputy prime minister John Prescott, who ruled in the developers' favour. The tower was given final approval for construction in July 2002.

Petticoat Lane Market
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
Wentworth Street
London, United Kingdom E1 7TS

207-2622533

Petticoat Lane Market is a fashion and clothing market in the East End of London. It consists of two adjacent street markets. Wentworth Street Market is open six days a week and Middlesex Street Market is open on Sunday only.The modern marketIt is one of a number of traditional markets located to the east of the City of London. A few hundred yards to the north is Old Spitalfields market, which has been refurbished, and across Commercial Street, to the east, lies Brick Lane Market. A half mile further east is the Columbia Road Flower Market. Petticoat Lane Market was not formally recognised until an Act of Parliament in 1936, but its long history as an informal market makes it possibly one of the oldest surviving markets in Britain.The market is open Monday to Friday on Wentworth Street; on Sunday it extends over many of the surrounding streets, with over a thousand stalls. It is closed on Saturday, and on Sunday closes at about 2 pm. The markets are well signed from local stations. Petticoat Lane market is listed as a tourist attraction on VisitLondon.com, the official visitor guide for London. The name Petticoat Lane came from not only the sale of petticoats but from the fable that "they would steal your petticoat at one end of the market and sell it back to you at the other."History of the marketIn Tudor times, Middlesex Street was known as Hogs Lane, a pleasant lane lined by hedgerows and elms. It is thought city bakers were allowed to keep pigs in the lane, outside the city wall; or possibly that it was an ancient droving trail. The lane's rural nature changed, and by 1590, country cottages stood by the city walls. By 1608, it had become a commercial district where second-hand clothes and bric-à-brac were sold and exchanged, known as 'Peticote Lane'. This was also where the Spanish ambassador had his house, and the area attracted many Spaniards from the reign of James I. Peticote Lane was severely affected by the Great Plague of 1665; the rich fled, and London lost a fifth of its population.

The Salisbury
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
Finsbury Circus
London, United Kingdom Ec2m 5qq