The Champ de Mars is a large public greenspace in Paris, France, located in the seventh arrondissement, between the Eiffel Tower to the northwest and the École Militaire to the southeast. The park is named after the Campus Martius ("Mars Field") in Rome, a tribute to the Latin name of the Roman God of war. The name also alludes to the fact that the lawns here were formerly used as drilling and marching grounds by the French military.The nearest Métro stations are La Motte-Picquet–Grenelle, École Militaire, and Champ de Mars-Tour Eiffel, an RER suburban-commuter-railway station. A disused station, Champ de Mars is also nearby.Originally, the Champ de Mars was part of a large flat open area called Grenelle, which was reserved for market gardening. Citizens would claim small plots and exploit them by growing fruits, vegetables, and flowers for the local market. However, the plain of Grenelle was not an especially fertile place for farming.The construction, in 1765, of the École Militaire designed by Ange-Jacques Gabriel, was the first step toward the Champ de Mars in its present form. Grounds for military drills were originally planned for an area south of the school, the current location of the place de Fontenoy. The choice to build an esplanade to the north of the school led to the erection of the noble facade which today encloses the Champ de Mars. The planners leveled the ground, surrounded it with a large ditch and a long avenue of elms, and, as a final touch, the esplanade was enclosed by a fine grille-work fence.
Community and Government Near Champ de Mars
ANTP (Association Nationale de Tir de la Police)Distance: 1.5 miTourist Information 101 rue des lombards Paris,
Convention is a station on line 12 of the Paris Métro in the 15th arrondissement.The station opened on 5 November 1910 as part of the original section of the Nord-Sud Company's line A between Porte de Versailles and Notre-Dame-de-Lorette. It is named after the Rue de la Convention.
Le square Saint-Lambert est un square du arrondissement de Paris, dans le quartier Saint-Lambert. Il tire son nom de l’église Saint-Lambert de Vaugirard, nommée en l'honneur de l'évêque Lambert de Maastricht.Situation Le square occupe tout le quadrilatère situé entre la rue Jean-Formigé, la rue Théophraste-Renaudot, la rue du Docteur-Jacquemaire-Clemenceau et la rue Léon-Lhermitte (face au lycée Camille-Sée). Métro : Commerce (ligne 8) Bus : lignes 70, 80, 88HistoriqueÀ cet emplacement s’élevaient autrefois les anciennes usines à gaz de Vaugirard, siège de l'évasion de Gaston Tissandier le 30 septembre 1870 avec le ballon Céleste. Les usines ont cédé la place à ce vaste jardin planifié par l'architecte Georges Sébille en 1933, à l’instar des nombreux immeubles d’un style typique des années 1930 autour du jardin.
Pasteur is a station on lines 6 and 12 of the Paris Métro in the 15th arrondissement. The platforms on both lines are underground, although line 6 becomes elevated just to the northwest of the station. Nearby are the Pasteur Institute and the Lycée Buffon (school).HistoryThe station opened on 24 April 1906 with the opening of the extension of line 2 Sud from Passy to Place d'Italie. On 14 October 1907 line 2 Sud became part of line 5. On 12 October 1942 the section of line 5 between Étoile and Place d'Italie, including Pasteur was transferred from line 5 to line 6 in order to separate the underground and elevated sections of the metro (because the latter were more vulnerable to air attack during World War II).The line 12 platforms opened on 5 November 1910 as part of the original section of the Nord-Sud Company's line A between Porte de Versailles and Notre-Dame-de-Lorette. On 27 March 1931 line A became line 12 of the Métro.
Falguière is a station on line 12 of the Paris Métro in the 15th arrondissement.The station opened on 5 November 1910 as part of the original section of the Nord-Sud Company's line A between Porte de Versailles and Notre-Dame-de-Lorette. On 27 March 1931 line A became line 12 of the Métro. It is named after the Rue Falguière. Alexandre Falguière (1831–1890) was a French sculptor and painter.The Necker-Enfants Malades Hospital (the first paediatric hospital in the world) is nearby.
Instituto Nacional de Técnica AeroespacialDistance: 0.6 miTourist Information Carretera de Ajalvir, Km 4 Paris,
The Instituto Nacional de Técnica Aeroespacial is Spain's space agency. It was founded in 1942, as the Instituto Nacional de Técnica Aeronáutica, and has its headquarters in Torrejón de Ardoz, near Madrid.OrganizationIts budget of more than €150 million comes from the Spanish Ministry of Defence and from its own projects with the industry. As of 2008 INTA has a total of 1200 employees, 80% of them dedicated to R&D activities.Its two main areas of activity are research and development (for example, in propulsion, materials, remote sensing) and certification and testing (for example, in aircraft, software, metrology).OperationsTracking and launch sitesNowadays, INTA controls both the Madrid Deep Space Communication Complex and the El Arenosillo rocket launch site in southern Spain.LaunchersINTA designed atmospheric sounding rockets such as: INTA-100 INTA-255 INTA-300 Capricornio These operate from the El Arenosillo rocket launch site.
UNESCO Headquarters or Maison de l'UNESCO is a building inaugurated on 3 November 1958 at number 7 Place de Fontenoy in Paris, France to serve as the headquarters for the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization, (UNESCO). It is a cultural building that can be visited freely.DesignThe design of the UNESCO Headquarters building was the combined work of three architects: Bernard Zehrfuss (United States), Marcel Breuer (Hungary), and Pier Luigi Nervi (Italy). Plans were also validated by an international committee of five architects composed of Lucio Costa (Brazil), Walter Gropius (United States), Le Corbusier (France), Sven Markelius (Sweden) and Ernesto Nathan Rogers (Italy), with the collaboration of Eero Saarinen (Finland).DescriptionThe main building, which houses the secretariat, consists of seven floors forming a three-pointed star. To this is added a building called the "accordion" and a cubic building, which is intended for permanent delegations and non-governmental organizations.
The pont de Grenelle is a bridge in Paris, France, that crosses the Seine river. It connects the city's 15th and 16th arrondissements, and passes through the Île aux Cygnes. Constructed of steel, it is a girder bridge. The current bridge was constructed in 1966, replacing an earlier bridge that had stood since 1873. The bridge passes behind a replica of the Statue of Liberty.
Dupleix is an elevated station of the Paris Métro serving line 6 in the Boulevard de Grenelle in the 15th arrondissement. The track and station form an elevated viaduct in the centre of and above the Boulevard de Grenelle. There is an open street market under the station twice a week.The station opened as part of the former Line 2 South on 24 April 1906, when it was extended from Passy to Place d'Italie. On 14 October 1907 Line 2 South was incorporated into Line 5. It was incorporated into line 6 on 12 October 1942. It is named after the nearby Place Dupleix, a square commemorating Joseph François Dupleix, marquis of Landrecies and Paris, an administrator and colonizer of India. The station was the location of the Barrière de Grenelle, a gate built for the collection of taxation as part of the Wall of the Farmers-General; the gate was built between 1784 and 1788 and demolished in the nineteenth century.