EMERALD WINTER PRIDE ART AWARDS EXHIBITION
Headline sponsor Emerald Life will host an exhibition of the Finalists at the Islington Arts Factory from 15 - 29 April presented alongside Layers, a portrait exhibition celebrating the stages of a woman’s life, which is running concurrently at the Southbank Centre and Women's Equality Party.
The Art Awards exhibition will also showcase work by featured artist Jane Moore, who will be exhibiting intricate drawings that evoke an inquisitive response from the viewer and allow us to see beauty in perhaps the most unlikeliest of forms.
Peter Tatchell will open the Emerald Winter Pride Art Awards at 6.30pm on Friday 15 April. The evening will include the announcement of the overall Winner by headline sponsor Emerald's CEO Heidi McCormack, a poetry reading by LGBT Poet Laureate Trudy Howson and a live performance by acclaimed classical trio the Korros Ensemble comprising flute, clarinet and harp.
These are free events and all are welcome - No tickets required.
For the first time the Emerald Winter Pride Art Awards will introduce a series of works developed by students from Middlesex School of Art and Design who have participated in workshops on gender identity and sexuality politics.
CASS Art Islington will sponsor an LGBT+ life drawing drop-in workshop at the Islington Arts Factory on 17 April, tutored by Sketch a Day artist Jane Moore. The workshop is a free event and will explore the concept of beauty, sexuality, gender and identity.
For more information email [email protected]
Earlier this year Winter Pride, in partnership with Pride In London, presented the sell out Smirnoff Winter Pride Music Festival at the Coronet in Elephant and Castle. Winter Pride founder Rebecca Paisis said, "Our partnership with Pride In London means that we are supporting pride in the capital’s LGBT+ community all year round."
The Emerald Winter Pride Art Awards has also started working with the charity Camden LGBT Forum to promote equality and diversity by the elimination of discrimination in relation to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people for the benefit of the public.
15 April 2016 (6 - 9pm)
Emerald Winter Pride Art Awards - Press Preview, Opening & Music Performance
Islington Arts Factory
2 Parkhurst Rd, London N7 0SF Google map
6.30pm - Peter Tatchell will open the exhibition
6.45pm - Heidi McCormack, CEO Emerald Life, announces Winner
7.15pm - Poetry Recital by LGBT Poet Laureate Trudy Howson
7.30pm - The Korros Ensemble will perform a 20 minute performance piece
17 April 2016 (1 - 5pm)
CASS Art LGBT+ Life Drawing drop-in Workshop - Tutor Jane Moore
Islington Arts Factory
2 Parkhurst Rd, London N7 0SF Google map
For more information email [email protected]
15 - 29 April 2016 (10am - 5pm)
Emerald Winter Pride Art Awards - Exhibition
Islington Arts Factory
2 Parkhurst Rd, London N7 0SF Google map
A Public Exhibition of the Finalists
Follow us on Twitter for all the latest updates: www.twitter.com/winterprideuk
SMIRNOFF WINTER PRIDE MUSIC FESTIVAL
BUY TICKETS HERE >> http://www.winterprideuk.com/
Following the success of its first two events, the Smirnoff Winter Pride Music Festival 2016 takes over The Coronet in Elephant & Castle on Saturday 30 Jan 2016 for over four rooms of music, performance, shops, food and more including Smokin Jo, Tom Stephan, Hannah Holland, Mint and many more to be announced! Then in April we bring you the glittering Art Awards at Islington Arts Factory from 15-29 April.
SMIRNOFF WINTER PRIDE MUSIC FESTIVAL - 30 Jan 2016
Welcome to the official party! Open to all, our inclusive club night will take place at historic Elephant & Castle venue The Coronet with live acts, DJs, drinks and a party set to spiral into the early hours…
Clam Jam DJs
Mint East DJs
And more TBA!
Get your earlybird ticket now: http://www.winterprideuk.com/
The Biscuite Factory - Arch Claimbing centreDistance: 1.6 miTourist Information The Biscuit Factory - The Arch Climbing London, SE16 4DG
Founded in early 2012 with an aim to become on of the biggest house and trance brands worldwide. Illumination Events has some of the country's biggest up and coming DJs, each with their own unique style of mixing, ready to impress any crowd. Their venture started at Proud2 (located at London's o2 Arena) with Pukka Up's 9th birthday followed on by "Illumination Events vs. The Gallery" at Ministry of Sound on 8th June 2012.
Since then they have done several successful events at Ministry of Sound as well as a local event at Rehab. 2013 promises to be a big year for them as they are looking at continuing their take over of Ministry of Sound as well as running various other nights across the London area.
Check out the result of Illumination Events vs. The Gallery at MoS on YouTube:
Follow us on Twitter for Ticket Discounts: Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/IlluminEvents
Tickets for events will be available from -
Aarron Crawford: 07508392498
Terry Woods: 07926530220
Ryder DJ: 07927355907
Kraig Archibald: 07923696591
DJ NRGetic: 07806593610
Illumination Events are constantly on the look-out for popular, sociable, motivated, enthusiastic and overall up-for-it individuals to join the team - DJs and PROMOTERS/TICKET SELLERS.
- Competitive rates of pay
- Free parties
- Rub shoulders with some of the biggest names in the industry
If you think you have what it takes, send us an email with your full name, telephone number, location, university attending if possible and a short sentence as to why you think you fit the job description.
[email protected] | [email protected]
Bermondsey Square is a unique mixture of café & restaurants, offices and apartments on a neighbourhood scale. It’s a venue for the world famous antiques market. There’s an independent cinema and a boutique hotel.
But most of all, it’s a lively community working together to create a great place to be.
Follow us on twitter too @BermondseySq
Welcome to Milkshake, London's longest running student events company.
Established 2002, Milkshake launched the first & only student party at the world famous Ministry of Sound. Over the last 14 years Milkshake, has firmly held its position on the map as London's biggest and by far most renowned student events company & party provider, operating as a global events consultant for the student market and their access to music/events.
In London, Milkshake runs the official Ministry of Sound student night, London's biggest & longest running weekly party, every Tuesday @ the world famous club.
We are also known for putting together some of the biggest student events ever to hit London, such as our MTV Freshers Finale last september in the o2 arena!
Milkshake also operates 2 other weekly student sessions within London which provide & cater for the needs of other music tastes and clubbing experiences.
Milkshake has been exported to the likes of Ibiza, Dubai & Hong Kong due to its focus on superb music and the sheer delivery of a true thrill experience. Within London, Milkshake events have hosted the likes of Chase & Status Drake, Tinie Tempah, Example, Tyga, Sean Paul, Wiz Khalifa, Sub Focus, Black Eyed Peas, Zane Lowe, Far East Movement, & Annie Mac... But let's not name drop anymore...
Work for us?
Click here: http://bit.ly/StudentJobs2k16
Join our Freshers Guide 2k16 now: http://bit.ly/Freshers2016
For tickets, Photos & events : www.milkshakeevents.com
For the experience check out: http://bit.ly/MilkshakeVid
Consistently Bringing the Best Student Parties To London's Super Clubs.
Whilst we will be always serving really good handmade food and drink, a big emphasis will be on our regularly rotating exhibitions of contemporary artists work. Special events will also be publicised including film screenings and workshops. Situated at 105 Abbey St, Bermondsey, SE1 3NP, we are 15 minutes walk from London Bridge station and only 2 minutes from Bermondsey St. We also have 2 clay wheels, a small workshop and a darkroom under construction. Please enquire if you are interested in the availability of these.
The Working Party creates performance work of the highest quality that reflects the lives, stories and experiences of our audience.
Our aims are:
• To challenge, criticise and celebrate the society we live in
• To use theatre as a means to re-engage audience and participants with their society
• To invite the audience into an honest celebration of what it means to be human
• To democratise and popularise theatre
• To open spaces of possibility in the lives of audience and participants through short, sharp bursts of creative activity
We will always:
• Create experiences that are engaging and stimulating no matter what your level of experience
• Find the right surroundings for each piece of work
• Use in-person research and consultation to ensure the subject matter, content and form of work is reflective and effective
• Give audience, participants and artists appropriate equal weight when creating work
• Refine and develop our work through continuing theatrical experimentation
• Work with professional artists and community participants according to the needs of the project
Artistic Director - Alexander Ferris
Executive Director - Matthew Schmolle
The Paperworks is a creative project developed by Corsica Studios. It started as a meanwhile project that aimed to create a green social space for the local area. The Paperworks aims to provide a greater visibility for the cultural activities and independent businesses based in the area. Working with local organisations to provide a full rounded programme of activities that ranged from high quality music and events to workshops, performances, art and play. The project launched in July 2014 and was named as “Top of the Pop-Ups 2014” by Time Out. The Paperworks has recently been shortlisted - together with Peabody - for The New London Architecture Awards 2015 in the category for Temporary Meanwhile uses.
We are professional, travelling children's entertainers who pride ourselves on our ability to bring a whole lotta fun to any party or event. Drawing from an exciting and expansive range of wacky and funtabulous party skills, we are sure to dazzle children ranging from 0 - 100+ years with smiles, zany fun & laughter!
Jolène Emery (JoJo) is at the heart of JoJoFun. After having her daughter in 2005, Jolène, a previous Director of IT in Canada, decided not to return to her career, but rather begin a new one of bringing a whole lotta of fun to children.
We travel all over. We have been known to bring their whole lotta fun approach to other great places such as Scotland, Italy, Canada, Egypt and even the United Arab Emirates! If your location is not mentioned here, don't be shy to ask if we will go to you... we LOVE to travel!!
British Documentary Film FestivalDistance: 1.3 miTourist Information 25-29 Harper Road London, SE1 6AW
Nucco Brain is a visual storytelling studio that shapes brands and creates inspiring videos through powerful narratives, elegant design and clever problem solving. Visual storytelling encompasses the dialogue a company wants to engage in with a client. Our team translates your brand spirit into engaging narratives and meaningful customer dialogue, generating powerful high-quality results. By embracing client collaboration we are able to cover a broad range of challenges - from the development of a visual language to the bespoke story of our clients. Earned from our agency experience, we execute a spectrum of services that includes: animation, design, branding and visual ID.
We provide a wide range of visual storytelling services, tailored for your company brand. If you already know what you want choose a specific service, keeping in mind we offer flexible start-up packs. Let us actualize your vision: sit back and relax while we provide you with top notch expertise, and cover your necessities no matter what development stage of your company.
We have established a network of professionals in London, Rio, Milan and beyond who create brilliant storytelling for our clients. Our connections allow us the flexibility to draw from a deep pool of knowledge to work on projects of varying scales. We believe great people are integral to smart results.
Welcome to Audition Doctor
Audition Doctor was set up by Tilly Blackwood, an experienced working Actress. She is a regular Acting Coach at the renowned Actors Centre in central London, where she continues her work on a one to one basis, as well as with larger groups, where she gives a weekly Audition Masterclass and Theatre Acting Classes.
Giving Yourself The Advantage
As well as providing bespoke classes for acting that are tailored to your specific needs, Tilly is perfectly placed to understand exactly what is required for any given audition, be it in the professional workplace or for drama school. Audition Doctor has also started working in the corporate world, where it’s reputation is already building; implementing the bespoke service in the context of public speaking and presentation.
Methods That Work Giving Value For Money
We provide a service that is unparalleled, with a proven success rate for drama school applicants and actors who want to get back into a professional working environment. We offer a variety of acting classes from 121s, groups and workshops.
An Un-Pressurised Environment That Encourages You To Reach Your True Potential
These acting classes are designed to bring out the best in you, in a relaxed and supportive atmosphere.
- See more at: http://auditiondoctor.co.uk
The Doodle Bar will be opening again soon! Sign up to our newsletter (http://eepurl.com/fe7WI) to be the first to know about our new central London premises.
The Doodle Bar is a space where people have the freedom to enjoy a good scribble, have a drink, have some street food and peruse the market .
City Hall is the headquarters of the Greater London Authority (GLA), which comprises the Mayor of London and the London Assembly. It is located in Southwark, on the south bank of the River Thames near Tower Bridge. It was designed by Norman Foster and opened in July 2002, two years after the Greater London Authority was created.BackgroundFor the first two years of its existence, the Greater London Authority was based at Romney House, Marsham Street in Westminster. Meetings of the London Assembly took place at Emmanuel Centre, also on Marsham Street.City Hall was constructed at a cost of £43 million on a site formerly occupied by wharves serving the Pool of London. The building does not belong to the GLA but is leased under a 25-year rent. Despite its name, City Hall is not in and does not serve a city (as recognised by English constitutional law), which often adds to the confusion of Greater London with the City of London, which has its headquarters at Guildhall. In June 2011, Mayor Boris Johnson announced that for the duration of the London 2012 Olympic Games, the building would be called London House.
An iconic London landmark and one of Britain's best loved historic sites, Tower Bridge is open to the public 363 days a year.
Within the Bridge's iconic structure and magnificent Victorian Engine rooms, the Tower Bridge Exhibition is the best way of exploring the most famous bridge in the world! Come learn about this incredible feat of Victorian engineering, discover how the Bridge is raised and enjoy stunning panoramic views across London from our high-level walkways, 42 metres above the River Thames.
Opening Times: 10:00 - 18:30 (last admission 17:30)
Facebook is a public page. Please bear this in mind when posting your comments, especially regarding personal information. Further information on the City of London Corporation can be found at www.cityoflondon.gov.uk. The City of London Corporation is always happy to hear from you but please keep posts relevant. All comments will be monitored by Facebook and the City and any comments that are offensive or inappropriate will be removed. People who persistently cause conflict or offence to others will be removed and blocked from our social media pages.
The Shard Distance: 0.7 miTourist Information 32 London Bridge Street London, United Kingdom SE1 2TH
The View from The Shard is situated at the top of The Shard – the tallest building in Western Europe, and is London’s newest visitor attraction. At almost twice the height of any other viewing platform in London, The View from The Shard offers visitors a 360 degree view of London for up to 40 miles.
Advanced tickets are £25.95 for adults and £19.95 for children. Visits are queue and crowd free, and visitors are allowed to stay and enjoy the view for as long as they like.
London Bridge bus station serves the London Bridge area of the city of London and is situated at the London Bridge tube and rail station.There are three stands at the station which are situated on the station forecourt.London Buses routes 17, 43, 48, 141, 149 and 521 and night routes N21 and N343 serve the station.New bus stationA new bus station was built as part of the new Shard London Bridge "Gem" development which was open in 2012.
Hay's Galleria is a mixed use building in the London Borough of Southwark situated on the south bank of the River Thames including offices, restaurants, shops and flats. Originally a warehouse and associated wharf for the port of London, it was redeveloped in the 1980s. It is a Grade II listed structure.HistoryHay's WharfHay's Galleria is named after its original owner, the merchant Alexander Hay, who acquired the property – then a brewhouse – in 1651. In around 1840 John Humphrey Jnr acquired a lease on the property. He asked William Cubitt (who was father-in-law to two of Humphrey's sons) to convert it into a 'wharf', in fact an enclosed dock, in 1856 and it was renamed Hay's Wharf.During the nineteenth century, the wharf was one of the chief delivery points for ships bringing tea to the Pool of London. At its height, 80% of the dry produce imported to London passed through the wharf, and on this account the Wharf was nicknamed 'the Larder of London'. The Wharf was largely rebuilt following the Great Fire of Southwark in June 1861 and then continued in use for nearly a century until it was badly bombed in September 1940 during the Second World War. The progressive adoption of containerisation during the 1960s led to the shipping industry moving to deep water ports further down the Thames and the subsequent closure of Hay's Wharf in 1970.
HMS „Belfast” – krążownik lekki brytyjskiej marynarki Royal Navy z okresu II wojny światowej.BudowaWraz z siostrzanym HMS „Edinburgh”, krążownik należał do typu Edinburgh, określanego też jako trzecia seria typu Town. Oba krążowniki zamówione przez Admiralicję w roku 1936 miały być brytyjską odpowiedzią na zwodowanie dwóch włoskich krążowników typu Giuseppe Garibaldi o wyporności 9591 ton. Do służby w Royal Navy HMS „Belfast” wcielony w sierpniu 1939 roku.Okres II wojny światowej„Belfast” rozpoczął wojnę w składzie 18 Eskadry Krążowników Home Fleet pod dowództwem kapitana J. Scotta. 9 października 1939 HMS „Belfast” przechwycił na północ od Orkadów niemiecki liniowiec „Cap Norte” o pojemności 13 615 BRT. Wkrótce potem przeniesiony został do bazy w Rosyth, gdzie 21 listopada 1939 podczas wychodzenia z portu krążownik wszedł na niemiecką minę magnetyczną postawioną przez U-21. Eksplodująca pod dnem mina spowodowała na tyle poważne uszkodzenia kadłuba, że HMS „Belfast” został wyłączony z działań na okres 3 lat.Po remoncie okręt ponownie został wcielony do służby 8 grudnia 1942, zostając w styczniu następnego roku okrętem flagowym 10 Eskadry Krążowników Home Fleet pod komendą kontradmirała Burnetta. Pierwszą operacją HMS „Belfast” na Morzu Arktycznym była osłona konwoju JW-53 w lutym 1943 roku. Również kolejny konwój JW-54 płynący w dwóch częściach w listopadzie 1943 roku był osłaniany przez 10 Eskadrę Krążowników.
St Katharine Docks, in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets, were one of the commercial docks serving London, on the north side of the river Thames just east (downstream) of the Tower of London and Tower Bridge. They were part of the Port of London, in the area now known as the Docklands, and are now a popular housing and leisure complex.HistorySt Katharine Docks took their name from the former hospital of St Katharine's by the Tower, built in the 12th century, which stood on the site. An intensely built-up 23 acre (9.5 hectares) site was earmarked for redevelopment by an Act of Parliament in 1825, with construction commencing in May 1827. Some 1250 houses were demolished, together with the medieval hospital of St. Katharine. Around 11,300 inhabitants, mostly port workers crammed into unsanitary slums, lost their homes; only the property owners received compensation. The scheme was designed by engineer Thomas Telford and was his only major project in London. To create as much quayside as possible, the docks were designed in the form of two linked basins (East and West), both accessed via an entrance lock from the Thames. Steam engines designed by James Watt and Matthew Boulton kept the water level in the basins about four feet above that of the tidal river. By 1830, the docks had cost over £2 million to build.
Many historical bridges named London Bridge have spanned the River Thames between the City of London and Southwark, in central London. The current crossing, which opened to traffic in 1974, is a box girder bridge built from concrete and steel. This replaced a 19th-century stone-arched bridge, which in turn superseded a 600-year-old medieval structure. This was preceded by a succession of timber bridges, the first built by the Roman founders of London.The current bridge stands at the western end of the Pool of London but is positioned upstream from previous alignments. The traditional ends of the medieval bridge were marked by St Magnus-the-Martyr on the northern bank and Southwark Cathedral on the southern shore. Until Putney Bridge opened in 1729, London Bridge was the only road-crossing of the Thames downstream of Kingston-upon-Thames. Its importance has been the subject of popular culture throughout the ages such as in the nursery rhyme "London Bridge Is Falling Down" and its inclusion within art and literature.The modern bridge is owned and maintained by Bridge House Estates, an independent charity overseen by the City of London Corporation. It carries the A3 road, which is maintained by the Greater London Authority. The crossing also delineates an area along the southern bank of the River Thames, between London Bridge and Tower Bridge, that has been designated as a business improvement district.
St Dunstan-in-the-East Distance: 0.4 miTourist Information St Dunstan's Hill London, United Kingdom EC3R 5
St Dunstan-in-the-East was a Church of England parish church on St Dunstan's Hill, halfway between London Bridge and the Tower of London in the City of London. The church was largely destroyed in the Second World War and the ruins are now a public garden.HistoryThe church was originally built in about 1100. A new south aisle was added in 1391 and the church was repaired in 1631 at a cost of more than £2,400.It was severely damaged in the Great Fire of London in 1666. Rather than being completely rebuilt, the damaged church was patched up between 1668 and 1671. A steeple was added in 1695–1701 to the designs of Sir Christopher Wren. It was built in a gothic style sympathetic to main body of the church, though with heavy string courses of a kind not used in the Middle Ages. It has a needle spire carried on four flying buttresses in the manner of that of St Nicholas in Newcastle. The restored church had wooden carvings by Grinling Gibbons and an organ by Father Smith, which was transferred to the abbey at St Albans in 1818.In 1817 it was found that the weight of the nave roof had thrust the walls seven inches out of the perpendicular. It was decided to rebuild the church from the level of the arches, but the state of the structure proved so bad that the whole building was taken down. It was rebuilt to a design in the perpendicular style by David Laing (then architect to the Board of Customs) with assistance from William Tite. The foundation stone was laid in November 1817 and the church re-opened for worship in January 1821. Built of Portland stone, with a plaster lierne nave vault, it was 115 feet long and 65 feet wide and could accommodate between six and seven hundred people. The cost of the work was £36,000. Wren's tower was retained in the new building.
St Mary Abchurch is a Church of England church off Cannon Street in the City of London. Dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary, it is first mentioned in 1198–1199. The medieval church was destroyed in the Great Fire of London in 1666, and replaced by the present building.HistoryMedieval churchThe church dates back to the twelfth century and is dedicated to the Virgin Mary. The additional name "Abchurch" may be a variant of "Upchurch", referring to its position on comparatively high ground.The patronage of the church belonged to the convent of St Mary Overy, Southwark, until around 1455, when it passed to the master and chaplains of the college of Corpus Christi at the church of St Laurence Pountney. After the Reformation, Archbishop Parker persuaded Elizabeth I to grant the church to his college, Corpus Christi, Cambridge, which has appointed the incumbent ever since."Restored and beautified" in 1611 at the cost of the parishioners, St Mary's was destroyed in the Great Fire of London of 1666.RebuildingThe church was rebuilt by the office of Sir Christopher Wren in 1681–1686. The parish was united with that of the nearby church of St Laurence Pontney, also destroyed in the Great Fire but not rebuilt.Wartime damage and repairA bomb hit the church in September 1940 during the London Blitz. The greatest damage was to the dome. W. Godfrey Allen repaired the church between 1948–1953.
Fenchurch Street Distance: 0.2 miTourist Information Fenchurch Street London, United Kingdom EC3M 4
Fenchurch Street is a street in London linking Aldgate at its eastern end with Lombard Street and Gracechurch Street in the west. It is a well-known thoroughfare in the City of London financial district and is the site of a large number of corporate offices and headquartersTo the south of Fenchurch Street and towards its eastern end is Fenchurch Street railway station, a mainline terminus with services towards east London and Essex. Other notable sites include the commercial buildings at 20 Fenchurch Street and Plantation Place.StreetscapeFenchurch Street is home to a large number of shops, pubs and offices, including 20 Fenchurch Street, a 525 ft tall skyscraper completed in 2014.Located at No. 71 is Lloyd's Register, where the annual journal Lloyd's Registry was previously published. The frontage on Fenchurch Street was built in 1901 by Thomas Edward Collcutt and is a Grade II* listed building. The more modern building behind was designed by Richard Rogers and towers above it. This was completed in 1999 and was shortlisted for the RIBA Stirling prize in 2002.At the street's eastern end and junction with Aldgate is the Aldgate Pump, a historic water pump which has been designated a Grade II listed structure. Further west, Fenchurch Street's junction with Lime Street was formerly the location of a Christopher Wren church, St Dionis Backchurch. First built in the 13th century dedicated to the patron saint of France, it was destroyed during the Great Fire in 1666, later rebuilt by Wren, and then demolished in 1878.
St Stephen Walbrook is a church in the City of London, part of the Church of England's Diocese of London. The present domed building was erected to the designs of Sir Christopher Wren following the destruction of its medieval predecessor in the Great Fire of London in 1666. It is located in Walbrook, next to the Mansion House, and near to Bank and Monument Underground stations.Early historyThe original church of St Stephen stood on the west side of the Walbrook, a stream running southwards across the City of London from the City Wall near Moorfields to the Thames.The church was moved to its present site, on the east side of the Walbrook (later concealed in a culvert), in the 15th century. In 1429 Robert Chichely, acting as executor of will of the former Lord Mayor, Sir William Stondon, bought a piece of land on the east side of the Walbrook, and presented it to the parish. Several foundation stones were laid at a ceremony on 11 May 1429, and the church was consecrated ten years later, on 30 April 1439. At 125ft long and 67ft wide, it was considerably larger than the present building.The church was destroyed in the Great Fire of London in 1666. It contained a memorial to the composer John Dunstaple. The wording of the epitaph had been recorded in the early 17th century, and was reinstated in the church in 1904, some 450 years after his death. The nearby church of St Benet Sherehog, also destroyed in the Great Fire, was not rebuilt; instead its parish was united with that of St Stephen.
Aldgate was the eastern-most gateway through the London Wall leading from the City of London to Whitechapel and the East End of London. It gives its name to a City ward bounded by White Kennet Street in the north and Crutched Friars in the south, taking in Leadenhall and Fenchurch Streets, which remain principal thoroughfares through the City, each splitting from the short street named Aldgate that connects to Aldgate High Street. The road is situated 2.3mi east north-east of Charing Cross.John Cass's school, where a plaque records the former placement of London Wall, is sited on the north side of Aldgate (the street).EtymologyThe etymology of the name "Aldgate" is disputed. It is first recorded in 1052 as Æst geat ("east gate") but had become Alegate by 1108. Writing in the 16th century, John Stow derived the name from "Old Gate" (Aeld Gate). However, Henry Harben, writing in 1918, contended that this was wrong and that documents show that the "d" is missing in documents written before 1486–7. Alternative meanings include "Ale Gate" in connection with a putative ale-house or "All Gate" meaning the gate was free to all. Other possibilities canvassed by Harben include reference to a Saxon named "Ealh," or reference to foreigners ("el") or oil ("ele") or "awl". Gillian Bebbington, writing in 1972, suggests Alegate, Aelgate ("public gate") or Aeldgate" (Old Gate") as equally viable alternatives whilst Weinreb and Hibbert, writing in 1983, revert to Stow's theory that the name means "Old Gate".
St Margaret Lothbury is a Church of England parish church in the City of London; it spans the boundary between Coleman Street Ward and Broad Street Ward. Recorded since the 12th century, the church was destroyed in the Great Fire of London in 1666 and rebuilt by the office of Sir Christopher Wren. St Margaret Lothbury still serves as a parish church, as well as being the official church of five Livery Companies, two Ward Clubs and two Professional Institutes. It also has connections with many local finance houses, all of which hold special services each year.HistoryThe earliest mention of St Margaret Lothbury is from 1185. The patronage of the church belonged to the abbess and convent of Barking, Essex until the Dissolution, when it passed to the Crown.It was rebuilt in 1440, mostly at the expense of Robert Large, who was Lord Mayor that year and is remembered as the Master of whom Caxton served his apprenticeship. It suffered as did so many of London's churches in the Great Fire of London of 1666 and was rebuilt by Christopher Wren from 1686 to 1690.In 1781 the parish of the church of St Christopher le Stocks, demolished to make way for an extension for the Bank of England, was united with that of St Margaret Lothbury.
The Heron Tower is a commercial skyscraper in London. It stands 230m tall including its 28-metre mast making it the tallest building in the City of London financial district and the third tallest in Greater London and the United Kingdom, after the Shard in Southwark and One Canada Square at Canary Wharf. The Heron Tower is located on Bishopsgate and is bordered by Camomile Street, Outwich Street and Houndsditch.Construction of the building started in 2007 and was completed in 2011. It is owned by Heron International and is generally known as the Heron Tower, though following a naming dispute in 2014 involving the tenant Salesforce.com the City of London ruled in favour of the property being officially named 110 Bishopsgate. The tower initially struggled to attract tenants in the depths of the Great Recession, but is now fully let.Design and planningDesigned by architects Kohn Pedersen Fox, the height of the Heron Tower was planned to be only 183 m, identical to that of Tower 42, the City of London's then tallest building since 1980.It attracted some controversy when first announced due to its proximity to St Paul's Cathedral when viewed from Waterloo Bridge. English Heritage was notably vocal in expressing concerns. A public inquiry was subsequently held, the outcome of which was decided by deputy prime minister John Prescott, who ruled in the developers' favour. The tower was given final approval for construction in July 2002.
Petticoat Lane Market is a fashion and clothing market in the East End of London. It consists of two adjacent street markets. Wentworth Street Market is open six days a week and Middlesex Street Market is open on Sunday only.The modern marketIt is one of a number of traditional markets located to the east of the City of London. A few hundred yards to the north is Old Spitalfields market, which has been refurbished, and across Commercial Street, to the east, lies Brick Lane Market. A half mile further east is the Columbia Road Flower Market. Petticoat Lane Market was not formally recognised until an Act of Parliament in 1936, but its long history as an informal market makes it possibly one of the oldest surviving markets in Britain.The market is open Monday to Friday on Wentworth Street; on Sunday it extends over many of the surrounding streets, with over a thousand stalls. It is closed on Saturday, and on Sunday closes at about 2 pm. The markets are well signed from local stations. Petticoat Lane market is listed as a tourist attraction on VisitLondon.com, the official visitor guide for London. The name Petticoat Lane came from not only the sale of petticoats but from the fable that "they would steal your petticoat at one end of the market and sell it back to you at the other."History of the marketIn Tudor times, Middlesex Street was known as Hogs Lane, a pleasant lane lined by hedgerows and elms. It is thought city bakers were allowed to keep pigs in the lane, outside the city wall; or possibly that it was an ancient droving trail. The lane's rural nature changed, and by 1590, country cottages stood by the city walls. By 1608, it had become a commercial district where second-hand clothes and bric-à-brac were sold and exchanged, known as 'Peticote Lane'. This was also where the Spanish ambassador had his house, and the area attracted many Spaniards from the reign of James I. Peticote Lane was severely affected by the Great Plague of 1665; the rich fled, and London lost a fifth of its population.
The Salisbury Distance: 0.4 miTourist Information Finsbury Circus London, United Kingdom Ec2m 5qq
Liverpool Street est une station du métro de Londres en correspondance avec la gare de Liverpool Street. La station est sur la Central line, la Circle line, la Hammersmith & City line et la Metropolitan line en zone 1.Lieu remarquable à proximité Gare de Liverpool StreetVoir aussiArticles connexes Attentats du 7 juillet 2005 à Londres Liste des stations du métro de Londres Liste des stations fermées du métro de Londres Stansted Express